Amazon Prime Air: drone-based 30 minute delivery

Granted, Amazon have an impressive success rate with getting packages to people without screwing up deliveries. One of the issues here, though, is potential loss of control. I can see a ton of weak links in this delivery chain, most of which Amazon will have little or no control over.

I work as an elevator operator on occasion, thank you very much (and it does require skill). Replacing a freight elevator in a commercial building costs $1M or more, and Iā€™m happy to have the extra cash at $15 an hour. You do the math.

1 Like

I like Waterstoneā€™s response - http://www.waterstones.com/blog/2013/12/introducing-o-w-l-s/

Thatā€™s a lesson in how to do social mediaā€¦

(Waterstones is a bookshop in the UK)

ā€œPULL!ā€

-newly formed UPS Deliverymenā€™s Rifle Club

4 Likes

Dogs are going to like chewing on these.

Never mind that; the cats are gonna have a field day.

2 Likes

Itā€™s legal to shoot things out of the skies in your dense urban environment? Where I live, if you shoot something out of the sky from your house with a shotgun, youā€™re going to jail for a while.

No one is planning drone deliveries for remote communities. The proposal (something blue sky here) is for dense environments where it makes more sense. Right now, your typical quadcopter can stay in the air for 20 minutes at most.

Seems to be too many loose ends on this. There will clearly have to be a weight limit for deliverables, and what about weather concerns? Insurance risks for an unmanned aircraft operating in a public environment. The drop-off point is also an issueā€“does it go in the back yard, the front doorstep, the garage? Privacy concernsā€“those drones will have cameras in abundance, what will they see hovering around my apartment or neighborhood?
Bezos has enough money that these and other concerns can be considered and possibly mitigated, and itā€™s impressive that Amazon might actually try this, so weā€™ll seeā€¦
EDIT: Anyone mentioning the shotgunning of drones should look up a BB article (no time to look right now) about the same thingā€“drones are surprisingly resilient!

I guess itā€™s pretty cool, but is it really necessary? People need to slow down, unless you are buying life-saving medicine on amazon, you probably donā€™t need it RIGHT NOW.

1 Like

Mini zeppelins, thatā€™s what we need!

1 Like

3 Likes

I never claimed they would be obeying the lawā€¦

I see drones as more of a Mr. Leeā€™s Greater Hong Kong sort of enterprise.

1 Like

Thanks for the link! Brilliant!
BTW: Iā€™d put my money on the owls.

Re blasting drones out of the sky: I vaguely remember reading something in BB a while back about an app for smartphones that can detect and track dones by their noise. So thatā€™s your homing system right there. For the next phase Iā€™m thinking EMP blast. These things must be as light as possible so there canā€™t be much shielding.
It would be fun however to fiddle with their GPS and send them over, say the next landfill?

Perfectly-timed PR stunt to get holiday shoppers thinking about Amazon, exploiting the current fascination with (generally useless) drones by the media and the public. Let me guess-- the drones will be 3d-printed?! (Wait for itā€¦)

On many levels, this should remind us of nuclear fusion-- ā€œsmall matter of engineeringā€ problems abound. Where will they fly? Where will they land? How will they be quiet (enough)? How will they be powered? How can they fail safely? How can they avoid piracy?

5 years away? Humbug, I say.

2 Likes

I figured theyā€™d just show up at your window like that Chinese take-out place in The Fifth Element.

3 Likes

And letā€™s say this idea (ahem) ā€œtakes offā€ and other retailers start doing it . . . I live in the city and I get pretty annoyed with every siren and loud truck and motorcycle that goes by my window. I have come to accept the noise as part of life in the city (itā€™s pretty stupid to complain about fire engines since they provide a necessary, life saving service), but if the future brings whirring drones going by my window every fifteen minutes, I have to ask ā€œat what point does the convenience of fast delivery begin subtracting from the general pleasantness of life?ā€

And if we become oblivious to the sound of drones, then itā€™s that much easier for the NSA (or whomever) to spy on us with their drones.

need to write short story

stat

whirrrrr

drop

steal?

:wink:

A Perspoem (neologism).

copyright

already thinking how this would be a great opportunity for drug dealersā€¦buy octocopter, paint it to resemble Amazon delivery drone, send it to customers, profit!

2 Likes