An elegant computer for a more civilized age

Belief in the FOSS doesn’t mean you gotta build your life around it. You think them TIE fighters are running Gentoo? Think again, son.

3 Likes

Judging by how easily they blow up, I’d be shocked if TIE fighters ran on anything besides Windows ME.

13 Likes

Yes! :slight_smile: Steven Levy reported in Hackers that Community Memory was operated with a time-shared XDS-940 mainframe in an attempt “… to speed the flow of information in a decentralized, none bureaucratic system.”

In 1973, it was located in " … the second-floor public area outside Leopold’s, the hippest record store in the East Bay … also the home of the musicians’ bulletin board, a wall completely plastered with (cool stuff)."

Agreed. Plus one of the really great things about the Apple ][ was all the very cool, dirt-cheap peripheral cards you could get. Many/most of which didn’t have Apple ///-compatible software.

In my case, I had an Apple ][e clone (I was poor, eh). I got an IC Tester and an EPROM burner for it, both for less than $120CDN. Eventually, I added a ProFile with its staggering 5MB HDD - found at a sidewalk sale, for ~$130). Good times.

4 Likes

The Franklin Ace 1000?

:slight_smile: Your proprietary programs can deceive you. Don’t trust them. Stretch out with your shared, free networks …

7 Likes

There’s a telco in our city, they have got a business plan,
Because they are no charity, they gouge us as they can.
They got just one competitor, the cable TV net
Two’s a little better than one but that’s all that we can get.
My options were selected when they laid the cables down,
DSL or a cable, no more choices in this town.

My future in the system was lobbied for and planned,
so I gave it up for WiFi and the free ISM band.

(original)

4 Likes

could have been worse, could have been my first Apple Computer: AppleIIGS

I was called a Peach 2001.

Please dish on the Apple IIGS. Thank you.

Would you rather have had a souped up PC Compatible? A Mac? an Amiga?

1 Like

YOU’RE NOT MY FATHER!

4 Likes

Hey now I honestly would like one of those. So much ‘could have been’ there yet it was sacrificed unto the alter of Mac. It was Woz’s baby. I wonder why not a lot of people make new cards for it as opposed to the II line before it. Then I remember the II series went on for a decade. The GS barely got what, five, six years?

That is awesome. Here …

For profit license
You are not the only choice
You leave us your costs

2 Likes

I wanted a color Mac, which did not exist at the time. When it did come out - MacII - it was so expensive I could not afford one anyway. So I’ze solds it and got an SE30, and a few years after that a Radius add on Monitor and I was happy.

yeah, it was cool, and looked like it has so much promise. What killed it for me was the buggy software that ran under its graphic interface. I wanted something like PageMaker lite to publish a newsletter, but what I got was a train wreck called “Graphic Writer” that drove me crazy. All that said the industrial design was great - I particularly loved the keyboard, keys went all the way to the edge and it was actually very compact. Years later I got one second hand and used it with my Mac since it was ADB it worked perfectly.

1 Like

The Apple /// was a terrible machine. The ][ family is what you get when you let Steve Wozniak design a computer. The /// is what you get when you let the suits design a computer (the marketing department ran this project, what a great idea).

7 Likes

That’s the model that came out after Cherry 2000 right?

6 Likes

was it a color radius monitor?

Any computer can have any color. The selection is limited only by the stock of the local paint store.

…edit: color screen. D’oh!
I’m slow today…

3 Likes

Classic movie poster, it promises boobs and the movie delivers boobs.

3 Likes