Animation: What you think about OCD is probably wrong

[Read the post]

That was very nicely done.

Here’s a test:

3 Likes

I hope they’ll also do one for Tourettes.

This is really a great video. I’m an obsessive person, and when I was younger had a lot of obsessive behavior. It didn’t rise to the level of OCD, but it was certainly uncomfortable at times, and I did think I was crazy…can’t imagine how crippling true OCD would be.

Also, “obsessive compulsive disorder” makes it very difficult to talk about neurotic compulsive behaviors like bulemia or typing your 1000th comment about Obama being a Muslim.

Or even the apparently uncontrollable compulsion to inject political sniping into every single topic.

But why does the rabbit have nipples? Do they pop out through his fur? And the angel and devil rabbits have nipples too. Why? I can’t stop thinking about it!

There’s also the compulsive personality type that has to have the last word and injects fatuous rules and morality into everything. I think they account for a couple calls on every episode of Car Talk where someone asks about their father in law’s (or someone else’s) rule that the car must be parked with the wheels perfectly straight or some damn thing.

Of course! That’s the wallpaper on the pachyderm.

1 Like

There are indeed.

The maker of this info-vid needs to be educated on the definition of ‘debunking myths’. This video does not debunk myths about OCD at all. As in: Myth: OCD people wash there hands more often. Myth ‘debunked’: it’s not just excessive hand-washing, it’s many other time-consuming cleaning activities too. How is ‘debunking’?

2 Likes

Yumm, that is one good smoothie in the making!

But in all serious, the lay mis-use of psychiatric terms is bad. I’m personally disturbed by the constant abuse of “schizophrenic”. Using the term to misidentify multiple personality disorder (a better lay term for Dissociative Identity Disorder) abhorrently trivialises one of the worst mental illnesses. I’m to the point where I fantasize about asking Big Psychiatry to just rename schizophrenia something different - serious sounding and less fun to say - and just let the public have “schizophrenia”.

Having known a few actual schizophrenics, yes.

The mis-usage is deeply ingrained in the vernacular, e.g. “I’m kind of schizo about that.”

I am slightly extremely pissed off at the suggestion of electroshock therapy as a method for treating OCD.

Also, by definition, people with OCD know their behaviors are irrational. When a person shows obsessive compulsive tendencies but believes them to be beneficial, the disorder is called OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder).

Why does the idea of ECT for treating OCD anger you? I don’t know about OCD, but I am considering ECT for treatment of my treatment-resistant depression. ECT today is very different from the days of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”.

A family member was given electric shock therapy for depression against her will. She lost a significant number of memories. Talking to her made it seem like a piece of her soul was stolen.

And I’d debate if it really can ever really help or helps simply due to memory loss or because the person receiving it is so frightened of receiving it again that they just hide their issues. Either way, 50% of those “helped” relapse within 12 months.

It causes an intentional seizure and is like using a sledgehammer to remove an infected splinter.

Hm, I have wonderful memories; I doubt they’re the cause of my depression. :slight_smile: I have not seen any evidentiary basis for this statement. I am sorry about the harm your family member suffered, especially against her will. Was this recent?

Seriously, though, I’ve done plenty of research. Short term memory loss is to be expected; long term memory loss is a less frequent risk, especially given today’s low “dosages”. And yes there may be relapse; it may need to be done as a maintenance therapy. Not unlike most treatments for major depression - meds, the various modalities of talk therapy (CBT, BAT, DBT, etc.), various alternative treatments. I have accepted the fact that, having had depression for decades now, and knowing that it is getting worse, not better, as I age, I will be treating my depression likely until my end of life.

Here’s a very short video of a man receiving ECT in 2009, at the University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute. You’ll notice his friends and family are present in the treatment room, and the entire session is over in 20 minutes. Here’s an article in which he discusses his history, the actual process, and how it has improved his life.

1 Like

Sometimes the splinter needs the sledgehammer as everything else available at the current time failed.

Mom’s coworker was getting ECT back in 80’s, for heavy depression. The effect was not permanent so he had to get treatment periodically (not sure how often, maybe few months, maybe year or three), then was able to work again. Not sure about side effects but apparently was worth it.

Think about a defibrillator for the brain.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.