Back doors in Apple's mobile platform for law enforcement, bosses, spies (possibly)

[Permalink]

Apple says this cannot be used over the network and the computer must be trusted, and I see no indication this bypasses the passcode lock or device encryption. In return, we get a lot of hand-waving and FUD from the researcher. Until I see any evidence contradicting what Apple’s stated on the matter, I’m inclined to believe them based on their track record on both security and privacy. Unlike some companies, they’ve earned it.

3 Likes

Serious question: how do you know they’ve earned it? They were just as implicated by the Snowden leaks as Google, Microsoft and the others, right?

I don’t claim to know one way or another, but why are you skeptical of the researcher, but not also skeptical of Apple?

2 Likes
1 Like

As soon as the DROPOUTJEEP (DOJ) info was made public, Apple denied working at all with the NSA. The original form of DOJ was designed for close contact invasion - so you basically had get a hold of the device you intended to mess with - it wasn’t a remote-use process. From the slides released, that was as of 2008, and at the time the NSA wrote that future editions might be able to be installed remotely. (Who knows what their capabilities are now.)

The point is that at least the initial edition of DOJ was not something that could take advantage of this type of backdoor via the internet or cell networks. Not only that: the NSA had been developing similar tools for use with various products from multiple companies. Apple wasn’t alone, so while backdoors do exist on Apple products, it’s a fair bet they’re everywhere else as well, and could be interpreted the same way by someone looking in another direction if they chose to.

As always, no matter what device you use, your safest action online is to simply assume everything you say and do is seen.

1 Like

I agree. There will always be people typing on the internet, “but Privacy! I am Entitled! Fourth Amendment!” But that doesn’t make corporations and governments behave, to our shock. And for now, most of our government is fairly benign to most of us. But who knows about next year?

1 Like

Both claims are correct. We are etitled to privacy rights. But we also can’t count on the govts and corporations (where’s the demarcation line anyway?) to enforce these rights. We have to rely on our own wit and tech, and be bolstered by knowing we’re on the right side.

3 Likes

Gosh, it’s almost like you haven’t read the slides from the presentation.

4 Likes

That’s how the panopticon works. Advocating for internalizing the mechanism of the panopticon is not very helpful IMO.

1 Like

Actually I like that solution a lot.

1 Like

And here’s the evidence in video format: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ymf0UsEuw.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.