Bbs = BS; Quality of discussion plummets

Great thread

1 Like

tags could lead to this kind of automated view:
http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/stockresearch/marketmap

Not, obviously, a financial diagram! But if those boxes were say the top 300 keywords, and the major topics (religion, civil liberties, constitution, bananas) were the big boxes, that might be cool. Then a time horizon selector and bingo.

I saw an implementation more interesting than this (which I haven’t looked at in 5 years - amazing how a good thing sticks around) for I think theeconomist.com topics under discussion. It had kind of moving bubbles representing what’s going on right now.

Everything from twitter to reddit to hacker news to metafilter works, essentially, as a comment forum where discussion is on “another tab” to the original URL. It’s the default nature of the web – one thing hyperlinked to, rather than appended to, another.

This is why I’m convinced that these problems are local UI problems (e.g. hidden links from BB posts to BBS at one end, and the ugly auto-posts that start discourse threads at the other) rather than issues of fundamental healthiness.

It would work better if whatever site the BB editor was linking to was also linked to from here, not just the BB article.

3 Likes

That’s a good point. And actually, that makes me want the capability to merge any arbitrary comment stream into the main source for viewing (there must be some software that already does that).

Is there a possibility I could have the option of forcing my preference for threaded view, like comments were presented in Discus?

And, why does this message keep appearing:

“Welcome to Boing Boing BBS — thanks for contributing to the conversation!
Does your reply improve the conversation in some way, however small?
Be kind to your fellow community members.
Constructive criticism is welcome, but remember to criticize ideas, not people.
For more guidance, see our FAQ. This panel will only appear for your first 2 posts.”

You are a basic user, that should not be showing up cc @eviltrout

1 Like

That is an excellent idea.

I think the word is maybe too fancy, but there’s an ecological puzzle in this.

If the BB post stands alone in its own right–due to its own commentary, criticism or originality–then the BBS OP should link to the BB post without worrying too much about the BB post’s own links being reposted. If they’re needed for context, they’ll get posted (as they often do on Reddit and HN) anyway.

But if the BB post was just a link and a quote and ‘go read this’, then that original link should be posted here.

In fact, thinking it through, perhaps short posts shouldn’t really have their own permalink at BB at all, since they’re just links. Short, single-paragraph, linky posts at BB should really pretty much just exist here at BBS instead? Or, at least, be reproduced in full here as the OP.

6 Likes

A “just AJAX in the damned comments from Discourse, dammit” button could be the final cherry on top of this when BBS is so perfect you won’t want it.

Concur, the only time I object to clicking through is when the original post is crazy short and little more than a link to another site.

Per connecting a BB post and the corresponding BBS commentary: I haven’t found a good way to transit from a comment in “From our Forums” on the post page and the corresponding comment in BBS. Sometimes a selected comment in FoF replies to another BBS comment (that hasn’t been included in FoF). So I’d like to be able to jump to the selected comment in its BBS incarnation, to see what it’s replying to.

1 Like

Great point, we will add the proper link.

It’s intriguing how BB’ers are responding to user posts.

I’ve just read one on racism that I had imagined would cause a stir. Didn’t - hardly any views, I’m the first responder. Yet the “Grandpa’s ghost books” post garnered tons of views and response (I loved the post btw!)

Are BB’ers resting in nostalgia?

Also, I read one post, maybe a response to something (can’t spot it) with c. 75 clicks on the link inserted, but one like. That means either a lot of visitors are popping through, or BB’ers aren’t recognising eachother.

Then again, I’ve seen some extremely funny and interesting posts / responses get high likes - maybe the bar has simply gone up!

There is something a little off-putting about the heart. I wince and click it anyway. More adjusting. Did not realize how un-flexible I am or have become.

3 Likes

I know. But I love you anyway.

2 Likes

I’m really finding it irritation to try and follow threads on the new system, too. I can read direct replies under a post by uncollapsing them (but then I have to scroll past them again later, which means I’m double-reading every other later post in a topic - annoying) but I can’t really follow replies to replies.

That’s my major peeve with the new system. I miss follow-able conversations. :frowning:

2 Likes

Apparently, the problem is you; you just don’t get it: It looks like a threaded view, but it ain’t

3 Likes

Just saw that thread. Ignoring all perceived tonal issues, I found that thread disheartening. I use Twitter and I can follow the discussions to the extent that I need to, but I’ve always liked following more in-depth threads on Boing Boing and Twitter isn’t designed for that type of back-and-forth. And neither is BB anymore, I guess?

Still gonna try though but I’m finding the reading-the-same-thing-twice thing so irritating that I’m generally not clicking the reply links on a post, preferring to wait until I come across the replies naturally later on in the post, even though it’s not at all clear what they’re replying to when I come across them down there.

2 Likes

Yes. Tis a shame, cos as other people mentioned, I found the most interesting things in the comments. I feel BB dropping off my radar a bit.

1 Like

Click on the “in reply to” button to get the needed context.