Better way to organize kids' clothing departments

Of course, my kid takes it in the opposite direction, and wants to put ketchup on EVERYTHING. Hot dogs and hamburgers ONLY (with the occasional grilled cheese), thank you very much.

1 Like

Wait, grilled cheese? I thought people did tomatoes on those. Unless you’re saying that you’re putting grilled cheese on your hamburgers and hot dogs, which is still a little weird.

But no, what I meant was ketchup on my grilled cheese (or rather, my grilled cheese dipped in ketchup). Yum!

However, I think we have drifted off topic.

Our daughter is now three months old, and let me tell you, it’s amazing what people sent us. My wife and I come from Northeast liberal families, where many women kept their maiden names after marriage, etc., and we still got package after package of pink, pink pink dresses and frilly knickers and who-knows-what from uncles and aunts.

Dresses for a newborn? It doesn’t even make sense.

My wife and I took the onesies in the best plain hot-pinks and silk-screened octopuses, robots, and man-eating-plants (her namesake, Audrey II) on them, and hid the rest in a cupboard, and now things are better.

Salad Cream!

Mine’s 15 now. Still prefers dresses and every time we go shopping she acts like she regularly attends balls and dances. That’s okay; she has her own style - less dayglo this time around. Was a member of the science competition group. Just joined the gay and lesbian alliance - one of two straight kids so far but she is recruiting! And also pottery club. Seems to be okay despite the pinkwash.

2 Likes

By the way, if you hate the pink sparkle girl’s department, wait until you see the tramp-wear in the Junior’s department for your little girl!

I’ll just leave this here.

http://www.amazon.com/Dallas-Cowboys-Toddler-Cheerleader-Uniform/dp/B005IJL3TU

Possibly for the Toddlers and Tiaras crowd.

Dresses are slightly easier when it comes to changing a diaper, and when you want your toddler to learn to walk, they sabotage attempts at crawling (my daughter’s at that stage now).

Seriously though, they don’t make a lot of sense apart from making babies look cuter and holding them back.

I had a book of short mystery stories when I was younger. I think it was called Five Minute Mysteries or something like that. They were kind of like Encyclopedia Brown but aimed at an older audience. I distinctly remember the solution to one of the mysteries being that a woman was an impostor because the real woman was known to be very fashion-conscious and had a closet full of nothing but pink outfits, but the woman claiming to be her was redheaded. The detective knew that pink clashed with red hair and a fashion-conscious woman would prefer blue or green outfits. So based on my vague memories of a book I don’t remember the title of, you’ve chosen good colours.

About a century ago, it was very normal for infant boys to also wear dresses.

We got a handful of SUPER frilly dresses as gifts when we had our little girl… My wife loved them, thought they were adorable, until we actually put them on her (the baby, not my wife). And then we realized that dresses for babies are, well, kinda dumb. Because all they do is grab the bottom of the dress, pull it up and put it in their mouth. I joked that it was a bit early for her to be going “Girls Gone Wild” on us, lifting up her dress for the world to see. So those dresses were relegated to “taking cute pictures of the baby in them” and then taking them off.

Sexism is Over is an Etsy shop that does custom work for men and women, and her selection of fabric is pretty awesome. I think they’re suited for biking, rock climbing, track events, and burning man.

It’s not just moms. Plenty of dads INSIST that their children’s clothing be “gender appropriate.” In fact, I think I’ve heard more of that from dads than moms. But of course, when we’re criticizing parenting choices, men get a pass.

2 Likes

Well of course, why wouldn’t we? Years of low expectations have made any parenting by dads an automatic applause point.

Showing up at a bakesale? I must love my kids. However, my wife had better have made something or there are going to be whispers. And if I baked instead? It’s like I walk on water. But what’s wrong with my wife? She must “just be bad in the kitchen.”

1 Like

I’ve seen this a lot when you’re talking about sons, especially first sons. Although it is fading, there was a time when it was practically a crime to dress a boy in a pink shirt, because you might turn him gay. Even if the father wasn’t worried about that, he couldn’t allow it because all of the other fathers would give him grief about his girly boy. Girls in boy clothes were much less hot button, but even then there would be concern about someone raising a tomboy.

Hah! I get this all the time. When I was off on parental leave with my son, I would always get “Awww, are you taking a day off work to babysit today?” - “No, I’m parenting.”

See also: any cleaning product/household item ad that portrays the dad/husband as a bumbling oaf that has no idea what he’s doing around the house.

This is still very much alive and well. We are friends with a couple, the husband side of which will always give me grief about how we’ve bought my son a toy kitchen, tea sets, dollhouses, etc because they’re toys he likes to play with. And I always make it very clear that I have absolutely no problem with him playing with said “girly” toys, because they’re just toys, and toys aren’t going to “turn my son gay” - and that even if my son DOES turn out to be gay, I really don’t give a crap.

3 Likes

I have to admit that even I have my limits. I’m definitely going to do a double take if I see someone dress a 5 year old boy in a frilly pink summer dress.

I bet they’re pretty comfortable. And at five they’re pretty much dressing themselves, not wearing what you want them to wear.

1 Like