Big Star documentary and soundtrack

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me is the new documentary about the mythic, influential, and commercially unsuccessful rock band formed in the early 1970s in Memphis by Alex Chilton, Jody Stephens, Chris Bell, and Any Hummel. Their three albums #1 Record, Radio City, and Third/Sister Lovers, influenced everyone from REM and The Replacement to Afghan… READ THE REST

Big Star = Good Stuff. The Wilco cover of Thirteen gets regular rotation on my Pandora station, which is always a nice reminder.

It was twenty years ago today… give or take a month or two, that I got my “#1 Record”/“Radio City” double CD via special order at the record store in Guadalajara, Mexico.

It took a couple of months from when I paid for it (on a college student budget) to the day it arrived and I’d never heard Big Star, but the gushing printed praise made me feel I was missing something truly special, so I made the special effort and put in something that’s not necessary nowadays (for better, not for worse) where music is concerned, thanks to YouTube - blind faith.

After twenty years, too many records have come and gone, my excitement spikes then wanes with something or other, but I have lasting favorites that I know will remain keepers for life, and Big Star is among those.

But a big shout out here and now to Low, those Mormons from Duluth are fucking incredible.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.