Bigoted officials: First Amendment means we don't have to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples

I thought that the 1st amendment overruled the 2nd?

Discrimination based on gender, religion and race is illegal. Discrimination based on sexuality, however, is not. It may be a long time before this fight is finished, where everyone can count on being treated equally in the public sphere.

The interesting thing about Paxton’s ruling or suggestion or whatever is he makes it sound like “religious liberty” trumps all. He also notes they have some lawyers lined up to help with lawsuits, and some of them will even work pro bono! Not exactly what every county clerk wants to hear.

I also like asking the question because I’ve noticed that some of the people all up at arms here in Texas about gay marriage get real uncomfortable when race is substituted.

1 Like

As @navarro points out, the Texas legislature torpedo’d the ban. Otherwise it would have been amazing. They already detected air quality issues (harmful levels of benzene) most probably related to fracking, even before the ban.

Anyhoo, hopefully marriage for humans who want to get married will just become the norm over the next decade. It will be torture if this goes the way of abortion, with a Supreme Court ruling followed by four decades of jacking around with laws and protests and bombings.

2 Likes

Not in Texas!! It comes in second to the 2nd!

They can try and probably get fired. After they file a grievance for the firing with their local AFSCME or Teamster branch, HR will find something non-grievable to nail their ass with.

Maybe they’re just lazy and hoping God will send a bunch of bears to do it for them, like they believe he did that time some kids made fun of a bald guy.

1 Like

Well, see, it ain’t that straightforward. And that’s the nasty part of the story.

County clerks in Texas are not the folks sitting behind the counter waiting to give forms to people who want to get married or need a dog license. They are elected officials in charge of several functions: elections, clerk of the county courts, keeper of county records, etc. In the large counties they run large bureaucracies with hundreds of employees. So yeah, HR can’t just fire them for stealing a pencil.

And that’s the worst part of this whole charade. When a county clerk refuses to do something in Texas, it ain’t one person sitting behind a counter. It’s the whole damn office that can’t do it.

BTW, Texas labor unions are a joke. The state officially doesn’t recognize them, and it’s illegal to take any work action against the state. Probably true for the counties, as well.

1 Like

What the actual fuck? You need to meet more legal gun owners is all I can say. You’re not going to get a reality based opinion by only engaging with them online.

Pretty much tells me what you think of “debate”. Have some respect for it, maybe?

BUT isn’t shooting your guns a form of communication in Texas?

Shoot in the air = celebration
Shoot in the air above someones head = warning
Shoot someone = disapproval
Shoot someone more then 5 times = disapproval of skin color :frowning:
Shoot self = disapproval of gun safety
Shoot anyone for no reason = identifying yourself as a police officer

4 Likes

I was being extremely glib.

Although, I do think it’s a generally good practice to not argue face-to-face with a stranger who has a gun. I respect debate, but it seems unwise to me, to potentially piss off someone who has a tool designed specifically for killing people.

1 Like

You’re right, it is a form of communication in primitive parts of the world. I stand corrected.

I imagine the 2nd amendment supremacists will win most fights by virtue of better armament :wink:

2 Likes

It’s not like that is an obscure command, either. Both it and the “homosexuality is an abomination” line are in Leviticus, only a few lines apart, along with the line about adultery being a capital offense.

20:9 For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.

20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man’s wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

snip

20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

1 Like

Does “religious liberty” trump the tax code of the state of Texas as well? If someone truly believes that tithing to their church is sufficient, and that they don’t need to also pay taxes to the state, will Paxton respect their religious beliefs and refrain from prosecuting them?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.