Bizarre, paranoid warning about imaginary predators choosing victims through bumper-sticker-ology

If these predators existed, you could deter them by including figures that might scare them off.

Like, having a 8’ tall sasquatch for the mom, and an uplifted timber wolf as the second oldest son, and baby daughter with one large, spiral eye.

2 Likes

Am I the only one who thought the graphic was actually pretty Captain Obvious? I have thought it was way too much personal information to put up on your car for a long time.

On the other hand, the one about “My kid is an honor student at XYZ middle school” I have had a story idea forever about a parent who is so paranoid about someone finding out what middle school their kid goes to that they won’t put it on their car, and the poor kid is feeling so hurt that his parent isn’t all proud.

I’ve always wondered what would happen if, on a car I didn’t particularly care about, I put a standard family set of stickers on and then stuck a little halo sticker above the head of the only child.

Then park in the “expectant mothers only” spot at the mall.

3 Likes

Some people really do think we want to know about them. Simple narcissism.

They’re one of the ways people like to shout “Look at me!” from the backs of their cars. Other varieties are: Look at the marathon/half marathon/5K fun run I accomplished! Look at where I went to college! Look at the pro sports team from the city nearest to where I grew up! Look at the activities my children enjoy after school! Look at the beach I like to visit one week every summer!

2 Likes

Don’t forget the generic yellow ribbons that say, “I support the troops!”

“When in trouble/Or in doubt/Run in circles/Scream and shout.”

This is now my email sig. I am happy.

3 Likes

You have a peg leg, and therefore move slowly. That said, beware of cutlass.

2 Likes

Amazing the totally stupid innocent inoffensive shit that people can get themselves worked up over.

2 Likes

As a friend of various private investigators, agents and such, …duh.

Or as Uncle Sam has taken to saying recently… “it’s just metadata!”

1 Like

Don’t give criminals free information!

Indeed! Don’t let anyone know you have kids. Don’t let people see anything that might give it away; no strollers, kids’ bikes, toys of any kind… Even better, don’t own a house but instead a small apartment and drive a tiny car. Keep your kids locked them up in the house with curtains closed. Otherwise, the pedos will come flocking to your door…

Sigh. I’m glad we don’t have this sort of stranger danger panic over here. When I was a kid (and I’m talking about the 90’s, not some good ol’ days), me, my sister and our friend roamed around the town and met all sorts of people. We often went to hang out with this older woman (I don’t even remember how we met her) who lived on the outskirts of the town, it was at least a 10km bike ride each way. She made us pancakes, lent us good books and helped us find people with horses that we might be able to take care of. There was also this strange old geezer who we sometimes went to meet at his apartment because he made us giggle and played cards with us. I never once felt threatened by any adults.

I miss being a kid, when we would just roam without direction and every day felt like an adventure…

3 Likes

“No one’s saying that this has ever happened, just that they can imagine it, and if they can imagine it, bad guys can imagine it, and if you can imagine a bad guy doing something bad, then you should drop everything to prevent that imaginary thing from coming true.”

But that is exactly the logic used to justify boring playgrounds, worthless bicycle helmets, and heavily armed SWAT teams.

This “danger” sounds like nutty paranoia but I do hate bumper stickers and support ribbons a lot. Luckily they are quite rare here. I just don’t get the idea why should I display my political/religious beliefs or amount of kids (0) in my car’s rear bumper.

The Right is very, very scared.

It’s also the logic used to justify the proofs of concept that hackers could use to break into your printer or wirelessly steal data from your phone. In the same way, when I was a student the police warned us about leaving the boxes outside if we bought consumer electronics, as thieves knew that students were pretty lax about security anyway and would just steal your new computer or whatever you’d bought. It all depends on how credible or likely the threat is; you just have to analyse the risk and take reasonable precautions against the stuff that matters.

dink dink dink dink, dink dink dink, dinkdink

I wonder what an EFF bumper sticker means? “I have electronic gadgets you can steal, but you won’t know how to use them.”

2 Likes

No, that just means you move around so much, no one would miss you for a while, or know where to look, and you’d get tortured to death by fiendish foreign perverts, like in Hostel.

Because people like to judge, and people like to feel pointlessly superior over the smallest shit that effects no one. What cracks me up is that it makes the judgey, complaining person seem like the attention-seeking douche, rather than the person who dared to decorate their own property. It’s just as obnoxious as someone proudly complaining, “I DO NOT OWN A TV!”

And full disclosure: I do not have a car any longer, and even when I did, I did not have any stickers on my car. But, because those stickers do not effect me in any way, I have no real opinion on them or on the people who choose to decorate their own property.

I mean they are STICKERS. On someone else’s car. I just … don’t care about them.

3 Likes

You hate them … a lot. It just seems so silly to hate something “a lot” when it’s just stickers on someone else’s property!