Blackhawks fans riot and for some reason it's not sensationalized by the media

I see from your profile that you are a Chicago resident so this is directed at you Caroline.

I too am a Chicagoan and have been around long enough to remember the the riots in 1968. My older brother was a campaign worker at McCarthy headquarters when the cops kicked in the doors and started billy clubbing people who had nothing to do with the demonstrations in the street. What happened here after Monday’s hockey game was not a riot. It pales in comparison to the aftermath of the murders of MLK and Bobby Kennedy and Richard Daley’s police riot at the Democratic national convention.

So maybe a little perspective would be in order.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t excuse the behavior of the idiots who got liquored up and took advantage of the situation to act like, well, idiots. It happens whenever you get a large group of people together for any reason. Unfortunately, there are idiots everywhere.

Actually, I’m surprised that there were only 5 arrests on Monday. That’s a typical Friday night on Rush Street or an average White Sox night game, both of which gather only a fraction of the number of people who were in Wrigleyville last Monday night.

7 Likes