Blackpool's Broadway Hotel fines guests £100 for negative review

Probably best to just avoid Blackpool as a whole

Oops. typo

4 Likes

It could also be argued that ā€œbad reviewā€ is inherently both ambiguous and subjective. Is a bad review one that, fairly, savages the hotel, or is a bad review one that is spelled incorrectly and gets many details wrong? One is bad for the hotel, one is bad for the review. Who decides what qualifies as ā€œbadā€, is it purely on score or would one negative comment in an otherwise glowing review count? Does the contract specify these ambiguous points?

A moot point in this case because theyā€™ve reverse the insane policy, but stillā€¦

Yeah, I did see that when I first read about it.

Also, Sky News asked Tripadvisor for a comment, and got it:
ā€œIt is completely against the spirit and policies of our site for any business owner to attempt to bully or intimidate reviewers who have had a negative experience. Where we find evidence of a business doing so, we will take action to protect the integrity of our site.ā€

Iā€™m curious as to what actions Tripadvisor will take in this case.
Personally, Iā€™d blacklist the hotel, and inform anyone trying to review it that the hotel has been breaching site policy.

There was a time (in the nineties I think) that ā€œbadā€ actually meant good! What a time to be alive. Badass still means good, but I think bad has gone back to meaning bad. Imagine being fined Ā£100 for writing a badass review.

A negative review could be white text on a black background rather than black on white, but it could also be the other way round. We canā€™t win!

For Ā£18pp/night, Iā€™d say anything above ā€˜not currently on fireā€™ is a bonus for hotel prices, like.

I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the nonfunctional plumbing and filthy linens! Freezing cold drafts through the windows and floorboards added atmosphere! The carpets smelled like sick dogshit, but good!

Hereā€™s the bad part: if they try to update their review, Trip Advisor will refuse to let them. Thatā€™s TAā€™s policy. The reviews there provide a thin veneer of objectivity over what is really just a booking agency. Their income derives from the hotels and they comport themselves accordingly.

yeah, it seems Blackpool can be a pretty flammable place at times:

This is kind of a flaw in tripadvisor(?) then. With expedia, the hotel wouldnā€™t be able to determine the identity of the bad reviewer.

With 10 reviews in the last 10 weeks, itā€™s possible they figured it out from details given in the review. On the newest 10 TripAdvisors reviews, there were the party who requested a cot, the one that might have complained to the clerk about a broken bed, or the few that mention booking com and when they made the reservations.

Oh, I know. Iā€™m from a northern seaside townā€¦

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.