'Breaking Bad,' Season 5, Episode 16, 'Felina': review

She’ll know, but won’t be able to ever prove it, and thus, will have no reason she can say to not let Flynn have it.

He had been to the compound. That very room is where he arranged the hit on Jesse. I think the autogun’s sweep was wide enough to include the entire “clubhouse”… if he needed it to be wider, he would merely park that much farther away. It’s not aiming, it’s just placing a rectangle inside an angle.

edit - however, it certainly was just luck that even the nazis left on guard duty were between the car and the clubhouse

1 Like

Jesse’s redemption is a something he’ll have to deal with as he starts his new life, but Walt did malevolent, premeditated things to Jesse, like extorting him back into the meth business in the first place, attempted murder of Brock, and letting Jane die. Jesse did dumb things that put everyone in danger, but nothing comparable to the above.

I think Flynn will know too, he’s not dumb, and I’m really up in the air as to how he would handle it. Walt did specify that it would be non-revokable, but there’s nothing that prevents Flynn from just giving it all to Charity right away.

It’s a heavy burden to dump on a High School student.

If the police discover that it was in fact the Nazis that killed Hank, then maybe Flynn will consider it. Also, 10 months is a good long while to cool down and process all of the massive life changing shit that went down that day. He might mellow out. On the other hand, he has to know that money basically destroyed his family and I could definitely see him try to get rid of it ASAP.

1 Like

Has anyone looked up the lyrics to El Paso?

The song is basically about Walter White.

Felina is his pride/meth and the man he shoots is pretty much anyone who gets in his way.

He even gets shot and dies at the end.

2 Likes

Now seeing the series as a whole, I think “Better Call Saul” would be more interesting as a sequel. Getting out of Nebraska, finding Huell, dealing with the aftermath of the Walt/Heisenberg days.

1 Like

I dunno. I have a feeling Walter would be too proud to accept payment from even the government.

Sure, they understated Walt’s contributions on TV, but it wasn’t to hurt Walt. It was to distance their otherwise successful company from Walt and the meth crime business. Strictly a PR move, even if it cost them 28 million dollars in donations. Walt should have known better than to take it personally, but he got emotional. And while most seem to think it inspired him to return to ABQ, perhaps it just gave him the idea of using them for the money transfer scheme. I can’t see him actually hurting the Schwartzes.

2 Likes

Didn’t you like the way Vince had the ID fall out of the glove box with the name Marty Robbins on it? In effect, Walt stole Marty’s Volvo.

Also, how did Jesse avoid the police on his wild escape ride from the Nazi’s desert compound? Wouldn’t they have encountered each other and wouldn’t the police have detained Jesse?

Jesse extorted Walt to get into the meth business when Gail was cooking. Jesse is just as bad as Walt there.

Walt never attempted to murder Brock. He merely made him sick so Jesse would agree to kill Gus. Jesse’s meth has likely harmed more children than that and in worse ways. Jesse is just as bad as Walt there.

In Walt’s mind had Jane survived that night she and Jesse would likely both died from overdoses in the near future. Walt saved Jesse’s life while Jane would have ODed sooner or later. Walt did Jesse a favor. It was a choice between Jane dying or Jesse and Jane dying.

okay, you’re grasping now

bows out

2 Likes

Funny, but I didn’t really know that Walt was dead when the show ended.Yes, it looked like a real death scene as it should have, but also the police arrived at the moment he collapsed, so I thought he’d be saved. This is really just my own rooting interest, since the police officer stepping over his body certainly didn’t think so. I guess I just needed the clip with Walt’s eyes going blank.

Yes, walking around ABQ unmolested was weird, especially since he shouldn’t have known how to find his wife. I mean he had to impersonate a reporter to get the Schwartzes address, but he instantly knows the location of his family’s safe house?

Finally, saying that Walt never gave a shit about Jesse is just patently untrue. I don’t know what you were going for with that assertion.

Okay but they all were in the same room. Still a stroke of luck.

1 Like

Was that an ID? I thought it was a Marty Robbins cassette case.

1 Like

Wow. First off, thank you Kevin for your great reviews - they’ve made BoingBoing the place to go for the only season of Breaking Bad I’ve completely watched as they aired. And I’m glad Gilligan and the rest of the team played it safe and finished an awesome series on a satisfying note rather than attempting an overly ambitious, final twist like killing off Jesse just to confound audience expectations. What they delivered was one last hour of perfectly executed television and storytelling, neatly tying up all the ends. When Jesse was shown cradling that box in the flashback, all that went through my head was “please be OK”. It’s really a rare feat to make your audience care about the characters so intensely. And when Walt showed up in the Schwartz’s home, that was some magnificent misdirection, ultimately resolving another major hanging question - what about the money? - and even ending in a final moment of comic relief. The good-bye to Skyler, a singular moment of honesty, and providing some closure for Marie - there’s the sweetness I’ve been anxious about!
The great reckoning offered no surprises, just the hoped-for moments of poetic justice: Todd gets strangled with the chains he put on Jesse (should’ve watched Return of the Jedi), Uncle Jack gets his just deserts after trying to use the meth money as a final bargaining chip, mirroring Walt’s similarly futile attempt to do the same in “Ozymandias”. And goodbye Lydia, whose fall comes as a result of the same obsessiveness that made her so dangerous and murderous. If nothing else, she had it coming for messing up perfectly fine tea.
I’m a bit late to the party on the discussion about the role and significance of the Schwartzes in BB’s overall story, so just a couple of thoughts: Gretchen is the only one who actually cares about Walt and has a backbone, Elliott seems to simply follow her lead on these matters. She was the one who devised their original offer of help, called him out on being used in his web of lies, and who confronted him in their home while Elliott was just pathetically trying to play along and get him to leave. We’ll never know what went wrong between them, other than some unspecified spat that involved her family, ended their relationship and made him quit for a pittance. From all we’ve seen from Walt, he’s certainly the type to nurse grudges about real or perceived insults to his ego and professional skills, so I’d hazard the guess that this, too, would’ve been entirely avoidable. Walt wants to have his cake and eat it - he wants to maintain his pride and stick it to the people who hurt it, but still envies the success they enjoyed after his departure. His final confrontation with them also serves these conflicting motives: showing off how much money he’s made on his own - literally dumping it on their living room table -, being in control by making them pawns in his endgame, and exacting further revenge by scaring the crap out of them. I wouldn’t be worried for Flynn’s trust fund with the two best sidekicks west of the Mississippi looking over their shoulders.

4 Likes

Yeah, it looked like an 8-track to me.

Re: the Walt/Jesse ending

• When Walt realizes that Jesse has been cooking Meth that rivals his in quality, you can almost see the pride in his eyes about a former protege.
  • When Walt passes Jesse the gun, he is transferring empowerment to Jesse, finally. In the past, he would always try to get the gun AWAY from Jesse – to disarm him or try to dissuade Jesse from making his own decisions. He finally acknowledges Jesse’s own agency.
  • In the final shots of Walt in the lab, he checks the pressure gauge, noting that the pressure was kept high, the lab is kept clean. The final thing he examines is that there was a hazard mask there…even when imprisoned and forced to cook meth against his will, Jesse was observing proper lab protocol, like a good chemist. (Extending past that: Only a man who had not truly given up on hope would have continued to use a gas mask…if Jesse had really given up on his own future, he would care less about his health); Walt sees that the fruits of his labor, of mentoring Jesse in proper lab technique, has paid off well. I submit that this, in particular, was a rather fulfilling moment for Walt, especially when you look at the history the two of them had together in training Jesse on proper lab technique (go all the way back to the Winnebago scenes in Season 1 for comparison).

Also… and this is my chemistry-major-pedantry leaking out, but the title was “FeLiNa”, both an anagram of “finale” and a portmanteau of three elements: Iron, Lithium, Sodium (their choice is irrelevant beyond their contribution to the gestalt title), not “Felina”.

4 Likes

Calling what happened with Brock attempted murder is grasping.

Last week the Vacuum Relocater guy told him where his wife was living.

2 Likes

No true fan would do what you did. Not one.

That’s O.K. I don’t ever want to be called a true fan even of the things I enjoy.

2 Likes