Bugs with the new BBS system

I …I liked the old ones better

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well, each site has the ability to choose Emoji Family now: Google, Apple, Twitter, or EmojiOne.

So, it used to be that hitting TAB in a post would bring you to the reply button, where you could hit enter.

This appears to have changed in the last few (this week?) days.

I don’t know what is getting the first TAB focus, but the second TAB is on cancel, which suggests that REPLY should have been focused.

While the emoji-popup is nice, having it hijack the browser-search Ctrl-E is not so nice.

Fortunatey, my search still has focus, so I can properly cite whatever doofus argument I’m making, but them I have to get rid of the !@#$@#$ emoji screen.

Because what do I do most often in my browser - search, or try to enter emoji?

And… there’s already a button for emoji in the editing bar. But no button for [spoiler] or any of the other useful stuff that doesn’t have hijacking-key-bindings?

1 Like

A number of “continue the discussion” links lead back to the article.

2 Likes

Hmm, I use alt-d for that. I believe @sam is going to move the emoji shortcut to ctrl-: next week though.

1 Like

I’m seeing this bug with at least Safari 8.02 Ampersands don’t render correctly.

Firefox latest here. That looked familiar, so I pulled it up on search. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Not really sure what to make of that.

Latest Chrome, too: Version 39.0.2171.95 m

But inconsistently, like @noahdjango points out. His example looked the same on Chrome, too.

Here’s a screenshot of the inconsistencies on my machine.

Since it essentially matches the firefoxs screenshots. it’s probably an error with whatever generates the bbs headlines from the articles.

3 Likes

alt-d goes to the URL bar, which can now be used for searching is most browsers, but… the search is then in the same tab you are in, right? I always have search-box configured to open in new tab.

Anyway, fixed in the future, as you say!

Lack of TAB-REPLY is really harshing my mellow.

As yesterday’s ban might attest, I have precious few mellows left unharshed.

:question: The ctrl-e shortcut was already removed? Turns out ctrl-: is impossible to do in web browsers across all keyboards…

edit: er, what? Tab out of reply does put focus on the button. Press space to activate the button. Or press ctrl+enter to submit a reply any time.

let’s see if it works.

YES! IT DOES!

Was it always this way? I always use enter to submit.

What are ctrl-e and ctrl-: supposed to be for?

And depending on the keyboard, requiring ctrl-: can disable those who can’t type two-handed.

Bug:

At the top of the BBS index page are two words in “chrome” typeface: BOINGBOING and BBS.

I SUSPECT that these are supposed to be two separate links, one to the BBS and one back to the main BB page.

But they both lead back to the index page.

I don’t think that is the intent @beschizza? The stacked topnav used to offer extra links back to the main site.

Here is a possible bug in displaying the date at which a suspended user will be restored.

The message on the banner says that willy will be suspended until “suspendedTillDate”

It would be fine with me if this particular individual was suspended until the end of time, because he was a hateful troll, but I doubt the date is supposed to display as the variable name :smile:

This looks OK to me now @davide405?

Yup! I see an actual date now.