Bugs with the new BBS system

I noticed that I can be at the very end of a topic and have it read something like “140 of 178”. The design suggestion box thread does something similar (283 of 288). It makes it seem like the rest of the posts will not load, but I know that I am at the very end of the topic.

I’m getting the exact opposite now. I’m scared and confused :’(

Post reply count is definitely not fixed, @eviltrout.

The edit history window is bugged for me: when opened, it can’t be closed with the “X” button in the corner (it’s not active, not even hover highlighting) or by clicking the greyed out area outside the window. If I go back to the main page of BBS, the history window remains, is empty, but can be closed by clicking the “X”.

I’m using Firefox 25.0.1.

Also, can you get the damn boards to work properly? It’s impossible to get all the posts to load at once!

I presume that’s a deliberate load-management feature.

it’s that way on-purpose. instead of using your browser’s page up/down key-commands to get to the top and bottom of threads, you have to use these arrows:

kind of annoying, but nothing too major.

What page up? What page down? What arrows?

If I try to read the thread, then the whole thing stops to load new posts, and then it jumps down, and I have to scroll back up to get to where I was. If I am trying to find something, or if I have posted something, and am trying to find where I was, of if I have posted something and it seems to have disappeared, I have to endlessly scroll back and forth and hope it works. It is an annoyance and an aggravation to my hand issues.

Also, this uses a lot of icons that don’t load. I shouldn’t have to click on F0 something to reply.

That sounds like you’re running some form of blocking plug-in in your browser. Try turning it off?

(And/or be explicit about what version of which browser you’re running, how configured, on which OS, so folks can actually try to reproduce your problem and diagnose it. “It doesn’t work” doesn’t give folks much to go on.)

No, I’m not.

It sounds like you are using an old browser? What is the name and version number of your web browser?

Also page up and page down work fine, as well as space and control space. Not sure about home and end.

Firefox 16.0.2. What would I ever use page up or page down for - I never have - especially if I’m trying to read the damn page without it jumping about?

Wow. Even by my stubborn standards, you’re resisting change. Firefox is up to version 25.0.1 now, perhaps you should update?

I’m not resisting change, I’m resisting Unity, I’m using accessibility fixes that may not work with new installations, and I’m having computer problems that prevent updates.

Ah. There’s the key word. I’m willing to bet that that’s an audience/usage-mode which this relatively new system has not been tested/designed for. The joys of being on the leading edge, and of reinventing the wheel (whether the new design is better or not, by definition it hasn’t had its edge cases beaten upon as thoroughly.)

I don’t know whether there’s a good standard set of recommendations for designing web apps for accessibility at this point, but I’m very willing to believe that the incremental fetch violates them. Workaround might be to offer and document an alternative (parameter on the URI?) which fetches everything immediately.

1 Like

Well, it’s not too challenging. I am clumsy, so I can’t use two-handed typing, touchpad gestures, scrollwheels, anything that requires precise typing the first time, narrow scrollbars, or pop-up scrollbars. It’s just something that no one designs for and Shuttleworth designs against. I also have sound and light sensitivities, but those are hardware issues, not software. except kde, I can’t use kde due to the screen brightness.

Incidentally, this bugture breaks scrolling, and breaks the ability to stay where you are as you read, without the whole thing suddenly moving several window-lengths down, which are pretty basic things.

There was a merge conflict with the new post counter logic. I’ve fixed it and it seems to be good now.

Looks like that is from December 2012. Should be new enough to not have problems.

Are you running any plugins that would change default browser behavior? Can you try running Firefox in safe mode? Diagnose Firefox issues using Troubleshoot Mode | Firefox Help

@zogstrip is working on a significant general improvement to edit history, try again after tomorrow and see if it works better.