Chinese-language Bing searches in the USA censored to match mainland Chinese results

I’m going to go ahead and apologize for my tone yesterday (bad day). I’m sorry, I flew off the handle a bit.

To explain (not excuse) my reaction, I have a deep respect for Cory and usually even if I disagree with one of his points I respect where he’s coming from. The phrasing of “Microsoft will not comment on the matter.” seemed unfair and inflammatory, compared to “Microsoft has not commented on the matter.”

The way it was worded played into a narrative that “evil” MS is in collusion with big bad China. That might be sexy, but it’s much more reasonable that there was a glitch in their programming somewhere. Yes, they are being glacial in fixing it. MS has a reputation for being glacial to do anything.

I appreciate that when this was slated to post, it was early morning in France, which makes it the dead of night on the West Coast of the US. Realistically while this could look bad publicly, from a business standpoint it probably doesn’t merit rousing folks from their beds to remedy immediately and issue a statement.

Again, I’m sorry I flew off the handle yesterday. The way I phrased my comment was inflammatory and inappropriate.

1 Like

My browser (Chrome official release) won’t even treat the second URL as a URL when I paste it into the address bar.

played into a narrative that “evil” MS is in collusion with big bad China. That might be sexy, but it’s much more reasonable that there was a glitch in their programming

If you know Microsoft’s past outright evil behavior in detail there’s absolutely no reason to think they wouldn’t collude with China. You’ve got it all turned around.

2 Likes

There are reasons google can’t compete with Baidu in china. One of them is that google fails at IDN.

Makes me wonder where are all the other non-Latin-alphabet competing products. Arabic, Hebrew, Korean… Presumably none of them would be having an easy time trying to use non-IDN-compliant products.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.