‘Clarence’ creator accused of sexual assault

I meant in general (look at the comments here) and it wasn’t taken seriously until she went to Twitter, from what I can tell.

4 Likes

Continuing what marilove has already said, there are a lot of people now going “I thought everyone knew to stay away from Page.” Clearly, it wasn’t common enough knowledge. I don’t know if people went to HR before Partridge did but if they did, it clearly wasn’t enough. YES, Twitter was the right place.

4 Likes

Hell, I worked at a small-town newspaper where at one point we had no less than three schizophrenics on the staff. All three of them had episodes where they would take the meds up until they decided they didn’t like how the meds made them feel.

We had one that had to live with her mom. They let it go until she had gone out of town to cover a basketball game (on her own, bizarrely) and she got pulled over by a cop, where her brain told her she needed to assault the police officer.

They found a polite, well-reasoned excuse to let her go shortly afterward.

But thank goodness we’ve taken care of the important issue.

Not to minimize the seriousness of it, but jeez…I don’t think it was the tweet that made them take it seriously.

1 Like

That’s not generally true, in this social circle at least. If someone is accused of murder most of us here want real evidence like DNA and reliable witnesses before judging. I guess the difference is that a life in prison or execution is taken a lot more seriously than having your reputation trashed and/or career ended, which is kind of a double standard. He probably did assault her, but then most accused murderers probably did it too, it’s the evidential standard that is applied unevenly.

I try to suspend judgement externally but reserve the right to judge internally. MJ was never convicted of child-rape but as Chappelle pointed out when (in character) asked “Would you let Michael Jackson watch your kids?” he responded “Hell no!”

1 Like

It must be endemic because some of the stories I’ve heard about Will Vinton’s studio in town have been seriously creepy.

Either a colon is missing after the word Brew: or it should have been transposed with the word Network. Either way, it is a moot point to the lasting effects of sex assaults on all fronts; those that are reported, and those that are not.

Another difference is, when you go to the police and claim you’ve been murdered, nobody takes you seriously at all

5 Likes

You’re right. But I still meant in general, for the most part. Read these comments. Read the comments at the Cartoon Brew.

Why do people always jump right to murder? There are other crimes out there.

You really think women “crying rape” are more common than rapists? To keep things simple, here’s a graphic.

6 Likes

Some context for the above infographic: http://theenlivenproject.com/the-story-behind-the-infographic/

It’s important to understand those statistics are specifically about rape and rape accusations. Attempted rape and sexual assaults are much, much higher. Depending on where you draw the line and quibble about details, somewhere between 1 in 5 and 1 in 3 women will experience attempted rape or sexual assault in their lifetime.

And sure it’s anecdotal, but literally every single woman I have got close enough to for the subject to come up has a story of being groped, harassed or worse. It’s fucking horrifying!

If you’re a dude and you like getting really worked up–and you’re reading this on a forum on the internet, so clearly you do–I highly recommend talking to the women in your life about this subject and just listen. If you don’t come out the other end a raging feminist you’ll at least maybe bite your tongue next time you get the urge to rush to an abuser’s defense.

8 Likes

Because it ranks as close to sexual assault when it comes to how it upsets folks as anything. I guess kidnapping or child abuse also come close but those seem to be the big three of social and personal transgressions.

lol hahaahah, of course I meant self-reporting of murder, of course I did.

Plenty of people actually do claim to have murdered someone but in fact they are not the culprit at all. Also, there are kidnapping “scams” every now and again. And wasn’t there recently a babysitter who tried to claim the house she was sitting in was broken into, but she was lying, and the child she was babysitting told on her?

False crimes are common, not just with rape.

1 Like

It’s so rare that when I supervised female employees that I never, ever closed the door to my office while speaking to them. On one occasion, one of the ladies got up to close the door and I said “Don’t do that.”

We later found she was stealing. Would she have made a false accusation of sexual assault purely out some psycho-sexual mental process gone off the rails? No, probably not. Would she have made a false allegation of sexual assault to avoid an embezzlement charge? I’m pretty sure the answer is “Oh hell yes.”

1 Like

There’s another difference. People are very rarely accused of murder by a person who insists that they’re the one who did it. They’re investigated by the police force, who think that there’s enough evidence to arrest. If somebody was an eyewitness and knows the killer personally, that’s usually enough. We presume innocence in large part because there’s a good chance the police simply got it WRONG though an accident of fate, that all the evidence seemed to point to the wrong person.

In sexual assault, the accusation is “you did this to ME”, so it’s a whole different kind of thing from a murder accusation. There’s no “got it wrong” (or, at least, it’s very rare, where the alleged perpetrator is known to the victim), there’s either “lying” or “telling the truth.” And the statistics bear out that most of them are telling the truth. Should we be wary of the false accusations? Sure. The police should investigate, by all means, especially if there’s any evidence that it’s made-up. But it never helps a discussion to point out the possibility as though “it happened” and “it’s a false accusation” are equally likely.

(On a completely unrelated note, wtf, article, why, if you’re going to quote a twitter stream of several posts… do you leave them in reverse order? I understand why Twitter does it on their interface, but if you’re writing an article, it’s extremely strange to tell somebody, or expect people to intuitive grasp, "read from the top down… now when you get to the twitter snippets, go to the bottom of the them and start reading up! now go back below the twitters and start reading down again… until the next batch of twitters!)

2 Likes

So because you don’t close the door, that automatically means false rape accusations aren’t rare? That makes no sense. In fact, let’s consider doctor visits: Male doctors don’t remain alone with female patients not because false rape accusations are common, but rather because assault and molestation of female patients is so common.

You’ve got it backwards.

Sexual harassment in the work place is far, far higher than false accusations of rape. FAR higher.

2 Likes

Yep, I’m busted, I was actually keeping my office door open because I was afraid I was going to get all rapey.

I would suggest that threatened false reports are far greater than actual false reports, and I never suggested anything about the relative rates of false reports. I’m not going to drawn into debates based on ad hominems and mind reading (are there ever ad hominems without mind reading? hmmmm…).

False accusations of all sorts are common. That’s why “false witness” made it all the way into the Ten Commandments.

But again, I will not respond to ad hominems and (dare I say) false accusations, although false accusations to rebut the very idea of false accusations is a daring level of irony. .

2 Likes

Yep, I’m busted, I was actually keeping my office door open because I was afraid I was going to get all rapey.

That’s not what I meant at all, and I think you know that.

I wasn’t actually calling you a rapist. Rather saying that too many women have been sexually harassed at the workplace, and the statistics easily show it’s far, far, far, FAR greater than any false accusation.

A woman is far more likely to encounter actual sexual harassment or even rape at her place of work than any many being falsely accused of rape or harassment. This is fact, and easily verified. It is far more likely that you have harassed, than it is that you are going to ever get falsely accused (I note you’ve not even given me an example of you being falsely accused, at that; just paranoia that you MAY! Because women are lying sluts who can’t be trusted behind closed doors!). I am not actually calling you a harasser or a rapist; I’m just saying statistically, your fears are based on unfounded and sexist paranoia and willful ignorance of how the world actually works.

Do you know how many women I personally know who have been actually harassed or worse on the job? Hell, I even know a few men who have been harassed as well. I know of not one single person who has been falsely accused.

False accusations of all sorts are common.

I already know the statistics. And it’s FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR less common than women (and men, for that matter) being actual victims of harassment and assault.

But, hey, clearly since they are “all sorts of common”, you have some statistics and research and at least one source to back that claim up. I won’t continue this discussion unless you do.

That’s why “false witness” made it all the way into the Ten Commandments.

Seriously? This doesn’t even warrant a response. This isn’t a fucking argument. It’s not proof of anything. There’s no way I can respond to this. Is this really all you got? That a highly patriarchal, sexist, violent and misogynist piece of man-written text mentions “false witness”?

I am completely flummoxed that you actually think “BUT THE BIBLE SAYS!” is an apt argument.

I have actually been harassed at my place of work. More than once. I even lost my job because a former co-worker stalked and harassed me and brought it to my new place of work.

I doubt you’ve actually ever been falsely accused of anything remotely related to sexual harassment or assault.

I think my fear of being assaulted (AGAIN) is far more solid than your fear of being falsely accused. But I live in the real world.

2 Likes

Um, really not so. It’s because some aspects of a physical examination can be mistaken by some individuals for sexual assault, so it is wise to have a chaperone in the room who also understands the nature and purpose of the examination. That way there is support for the patient and independent testimony on behalf of the medical practitioner. Because false accusations do happen.

1 Like