Colonization: Venus better than Mars?

Of course not, I have only read passing references to the experiments and the equilibrium issues, I don’t know anything about the details or whether the vestibular issues came up in the later experiment.

Fucking up our atmosphere is insanely profitable, and there are still people who claim that we’re not making any difference. Making a planet inhabitable would require long periods of pouring huge resources into a monumental project that offers zero ROI to anyone you know. Even when we’re burning our own lifeboat, there isn’t the political will to make a positive difference (n.b. fucking up our planet at a slightly slower rate isn’t really a positive difference). Targeted beneficial actions to improve our own planet’s atmosphere would be much cheaper, easier, more effective, more beneficial to human beings, with a higher chance of success, more obvious and reliable return on investment etc., but they aren’t being done. Even if we were to terraform another planet, this would not necessarily solve a lot of Earth’s problems. Some people may be able to go, but the vast majority would be stuck here. If we can prove that we can use our own planet’s vast resources sustainably and not head for collapse in a cosmological instant, I’ll stop believing that all of this talk is a silly diversion. Start small: terraform China as a pilot project.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.