Confessions of an Outlaw

[Permalink]

I watched “Man on Wire” not long ago (thanks to the recommendations on this BB forum) and immediately caught on to (and greatly enjoyed) Petit’s rogue-ness. Given that his on-stage persona was so captivating, I expect this book to be just as enjoyable as the movie.

1 Like

I appreciate what he has to say. Of course what he did was illegal - there is no way that anyone in a position of authority would allow a person to string a rope between two buildings and walk on it. Yet his action was more significant than anything the person in authority could ever achieve.

I built, and my wife managed, an unlicensed radio station some years ago, with fifty DJs playing all sorts of the most interesting and unusual sonic stuff. We had the same problem of having to break laws to put different music on the air. Permission? Unobtainable. Forgiveness? Not needed. It was a wonderful thing.

4 Likes

I think I was the one who recommended it! He is amazing to watch, so spirited and elegant.

This book excerpt didn’t do a whole lot for me but I think it’s hard to sum up what makes a person like him tick.

To me, he is just so French.

By the way, that Man on a Wire movie takes a weird twist right at the end there, Non?

1 Like

I definitely get that “He’s so French” character, but for me it went right beyond that once I saw him speaking in person (in the film, that is). His creative spirit seems well-matched with that rogue quality of character such that whatever he wound up doing, it’s going to be both cool-as-hell and likely to piss someone off.

Me too, I’m very attracted to that outlaw nature of his, but it’s not a mean outaw, it’s just like, why have rules against wonderful things. Could not agree more.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.