Connecticut woman killed after attempting to "ram White House barricade"

Sadly in this day in age if you are deemed a threat, authorities are going to use force to stop or kill you.

1 Like

My Dad was visiting a client near Camp David years ago and took a wrong turn and was driving up a secluded (and poorly marked road). He came upon a gate and 2 MPā€™s with rifles at the ready immediately approached him, asked what he was doing there. He calmly explained and they asked him to turn around and leave.

Sadly if she indeed made a wrong turn, she panicked then chaos and tragedy ensued. Not sure if she needed to be shot to death, but this is the world we live in now.

2 Likes

Iā€™m very sorry that this is a world where car bombs and suicide vests and such exist. But they do. When someone is acting in an erratic or suspicious fashion, in just about any country, near a parliament or a head of state, police/soldiers/guards are likely predisposed to err on the side of shooting that person. I would imagine the capitol police are trained to imagine the possibility that every person and every car they see could be carrying explosives. I would like to think that there are nations that would be an exception to this, and not require this type of defense, but none come to mind.

3 Likes

She could have stopped at any point, but instead drove through/past officers in one of the most highly protected places in the US.

At what point do you even question her activities in this?

5 Likes

Not sure if she needed to keep driving while being chased by police cars with sirens blaring, and then attempt to ram police officers bearing arms, but this is the world we live in now.

2 Likes

Source? NYT and WaPo not reporting this at the moment.

That poor little girlā€¦she must be absolutely terrified right now. Letā€™s hope sheā€™s got stable family members to return to.

5 Likes

The video of that chase seriously needs the Benny Hill theme song. Can someone make that happen please?

1 Like

I agree - we canā€™t know what was going through her mind - perhaps she wanted to speak to the president, wanted to make a scene, was deliberately intending suicide by cop, made a wrong turn in traffic and panicked - who knows? Iā€™m glad I donā€™t have to take the risks and decisions asked of the police.

5 Likes

Waaaaay too soon.

8 Likes

I believe weā€™ve identified the problem: theyā€™re operating in an alternate reality only very tenuously related to the one in which we actually live.

16 Likes

Oh! I can think of a nation that doesnā€™t have a terrorist problem! America. Terrorism isnā€™t a fucking problem in the US. We have more people drop dead after being murdered by their bathtubs or the food that they jammed into their own face than we do dead from terrorism, and that is if you start the clock on Sept 10, 2001. Start it in 1970, and terrorism falls somewhere on the list of scary shit somewhere near being killed by a unicorn.

People are fucking cowards these days when it comes to ā€œterrorismā€, which is just a cute coward speak word for ā€œpolitical violenceā€. I have not watched the video of the cops killing a confused crazy woman, so maybe someone actually had a legitimate fear that she was in imminent danger of killing someone, but fuck off with the terrorism. I am so sick of unpatriotic cowards holding up ā€œterrorismā€ as a fucking talism against all sane and rational thought.

29 Likes

People all over were driving like this today, I think. No little liability magnets required. (We said motorbike convention-gang to box in Senate and Darth Vader Familywagon to run over one-year-old barricade of Connecticut Woman, for winterizingā€™s sake.) In other news, you could do high-speed chasing in the capitol.

Contrawise, the child has a really ace choice of vengeance to ponder ca. 2027; barricades, barricade rage, incident escalation/mediation, beltway frustration and ideationsā€¦you know, pick any 9000. Someone send her a My First Hadoop book.

1 Like

I guess that Infinity has bullet proof tires as wellā€¦ Or perhaps they did blow the tyres and she had just enough time to use the spare before taking off like thatā€¦

7 Likes

We get more kids run over in their own driveways by relatives than people killed by terrorists. Unless you count as terrorists the many citizens who blow away friends, relatives and visitors with their constitutionally protected firearms. But that would be silly, wouldnā€™t it?..?

5 Likes

Why when this person brandishes a weapon, endangers children (albeit her own) and goes on a rampage, sheā€™s merely confused and sad, but when some lowlife in the suburbs does the same heā€™s correctly identified as a villain? Is it because women arenā€™t allowed to exercise moral agency, so she canā€™t really have any evil intent and it must be some man or men who determined her course of destruction? If so, how is that not paternalistic misogyny? Iā€™m all for fixing the atrocious mental health care (and other health care) in these United States, and itā€™s right that we should recognize that no villain comes out of a vacuum and society shares a measure of residual blame for our collective failures. But the double-standard that denies women full consciousness is denigrating to every woman (most) who doesnā€™t go on a violent rampage.

Maybe Iā€™m being too harsh. As I said, Iā€™m glad people are recognizing where weā€™ve been remiss in our mutual responsibilities to one another. Still, would any of you make cracks about the cops who shot James Wenneker von Brunn when he went on a rampage at the Holocaust Museum literally a few blocks away?

1 Like

For fuckā€™s sake. She went apeshit and started running over cops for no reason. I wish to God it had ended differently, and the cops arenā€™t blameless, but the woman is hardly blameless either.

5 Likes

Not where I live:

When there is a problem the standard MO in the US is apparently to shoot first.

14 Likes

A recent statistic I saw in The Guardian: since 9/11 fewer than 20 people have died on US soil as a result of terrorism. In the same period 364,000 have died from privately owned firearms. By my reckoning that means the average US citizen is over 18,000 times more dangerous than a terrorist.

8 Likes

She had THREE different encounters with the cops - The first was at the WH where she tried to run down a Secret Service guy, the second one is at the capitol building where she makes the cops jump out of the way of her car, and then there was whatever happened a minute later. She was definitely on a rampage. Oh and plus running a bunch of red lights at 80 mph, although everyone drives like that in DC.

2 Likes