Count to ten thousand! (Part 1)

5 Likes

As opposed to the following year…

8 Likes

3 Likes

From Wikipedia:

At the concluding ceremony for the treaty in 1835, just prior to the evacuation of the Indians, five-hundred warriors gathered in the then nascent city (town founded 1833). In full dress, and brandishing tomahawks, they danced the last recorded war dance in the Chicago area.

So sad. How the mighty were tricked.

3 Likes

And here’s what it looked like a year after that second Chicago treaty, in 1834:

edited to add the comparison, what it looked like in 1833 at the time of the signing:

edited again, because what the heck, I’m on a roll! This was only 3 years ago, and there’s already numerous additional construction not shown in the photo below:

Yup, same vantage point in all three photos: Wolf Point, where the north and south branches of the Chicago River divide.

And thus endeth our local history lesson for the day!

7 Likes

OK, moving on…

The Natchez, 1835. Eugène Delacroix (French, 1798–1863).

4 Likes

Remember!

5 Likes
1 Like

2 Likes

US code 18|1|90|§1839 relates to trade secrets and foreigners.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1839

1 Like

Larry Page made me do it.

3 Likes

Beagles are so cute. I’m not surprised he kept a diary of them.

1 Like

I didn’t know he invented Snoopy. I thought it was Calvin Broadus.

1 Like

Lowell Mill girls in 1840:

3 Likes

An 1841 Pun! From Punch Magazine.

The human headed dog is just a bit Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I also dig this one:

Franz Liszt had quite a gaggle of groupies.

3 Likes

Lizt had women throwing their underwear on stage… seriously.

3 Likes

I was reading that he was a total rock star. Considered to be the best piano player ever, at the time:

from wiki-fu:

After 1842, “Lisztomania” swept across Europe. The reception that Liszt enjoyed as a result can be described only as hysterical. Women fought over his silk handkerchiefs and velvet gloves, which they ripped to shreds as souvenirs. This atmosphere was fuelled in great part by the artist’s mesmeric personality and stage presence. Many witnesses later testified that Liszt’s playing raised the mood of audiences to a level of mystical ecstasy.

Check out Lisztomania.

3 Likes

C/1843 D1 is the formal designation of a Kreutz sungrazer’s comet. It caused quite a stir up because of the extreme brightness and was even visible in daylight.

The autobiography of Moncure D Conway includes a fine example of casual racism:

But the greatest sensation was caused by the comet of 1843. There was a widespread panic, similar, it was said, to that caused by the meteors of 1832. Apprehending the approach of Judgement Day, crowds besieged the shop of Mr. Petty, our preaching tailor, invoking his prayers. Methodism reaped a harvest from the comet. The negroes, however, were not disturbed;-they were, I believe, always hoping to hear Gabriel's trump.
2 Likes