A countdown made from countdowns in movies

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/29/countdowns-in-movies.html

O me first, OK

ONE

This pleases me a lot more than it probably should :slight_smile:

Also, although I know many of the source movies, I can’t for the life of me figure out what the characters were referring to when uttering their number. A mystery!

And lastly: It’s also a love letter to escapism and the wide range of worlds I get to escape to when watching movies. From space smugglers to scantily glad egyptian princesses (it’s always very warm in ancient Egypt, you see…) I can have it all!

Now I shall watch a countdown again! Onwards!

I was thinking much the same thing. But hey, it’s an excuse to go back and watch a bunch of great films again. :slight_smile:

Glad to see Bill and Ted got 69, little disappointed in 42 though.

So how did he go about creating this video? Obsessing over numbers for years, writing down every number uttered in a movie, or is there a searchable database for everything said in a movie?

Grab subtitles from opensubtitles,org
Grep for numbers
???
profit

Obligatory “Yo, Dawg! I heard you liked countdowns so I counted down some countdowns so you can count down countdowns while you are counting down count downed countdowns.”

Erm… or words to that effect.

I didn´t think of that, but now that you mention it I’m disappointed too.

Aww, no fractions for humor’s sake? Apparently, there’s “one half” somewhere in The Driver 1978. I wouldn’t doubt there’s more elsewhere.

I was grinning the whole way though. Very satisfying. 8/8; would r8 again.

Personally, I’d have gone with Clint on 44, rather than 45.

I’m very disappoint. 47 was not from Star Trek.

Its wonderful that people can have opinions on something as strange as which number quote from a movie should be used.

Nobody can eat 50 eggs

I made one without the white guys. It’s slightly shorter.

A countdown made from countdowns in movies

Pedantic objection: most of those are not from countdowns in movies. They are just numbers uttered in movies, neither preceded by greater numbers nor followed by lesser ones.

Not me, Blind Pew was a great character!