Count to ten thousand! (Part 1)

From Godfrey Harold Hardy, on Srinivasa Ramanujan:

I remember once going to see him when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden in taxi cab number 1729 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavorable omen. "No," he replied, "it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways."
4 Likes

I love that album! I even got to go to a Peter Schickele concert years ago! Was awesome.

2 Likes

You rascal, that was my favorite ship of the whole Federation fleet!

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes
S: And what is your first question? P: What is the first question P: What do you do? S: I am a leader P: A leader P: What is your nationality? S: I am American P: Are you alive? S: I am not alive P: Are you leading a company? S: I am not leading a company P: okay P: You’re not a company leader P: When are you born? S: I was born on february twenty second seventeen thirty two P: Seventeen thirty two P: Ok P: Eehm P: Are a politician? S: I am a politician P: Okay P: So then it is not my area but I will try to guess P: When were you in the government? S: Uhm S: Let’s see S: I retired from the presidency in seventeen ninety seven P: Ninety seven P: George Washington S: Is that your final guess? P: Yes, Washington S: Very good, excellent job! S: Congratulations!

From: The DBOX Corpus Collection of Spoken Human-Human and Human-Machine Dialogues

7 Likes

4 Likes

#+

= 1734

4 Likes

sqrt(3010225)

2 Likes

4 Likes

Happy Birthday Thomas Paine!

5 Likes

1738 - Rémy Martin 1738 Accord Royal Cognac

1738 Also: Rapper Fetty Wap’s term for his “squad” in “New Jersey”.

As if “that’s a thing”.

1 Like

1739 - Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences

1 Like

DLG2: This gene encodes a member of the membrane-associated guanylate kinase (MAGUK) family. The encoded protein forms a heterodimer with a related family member that may interact at postsynaptic sites to form a multimeric scaffold for the clustering of receptors, ion channels, and associated signaling proteins. Multiple transcript variants encoding different isoforms have been found for this gene. Additional transcript variants have been described, but their full-length nature is not known.

In NCBI’s gene database as ID 1740.

3 Likes

1741.gif

3 Likes

1742_xz

2 Likes
The Rev. Dr. Francis Alison opened an academy near New London, Pa., to meet the need for educated men in the Middle Colonies in the 18th century. The first class of 12 young men–a class which included three signers of the Declaration of Independence, George Read, Thomas McKean and James Smith, and one signer of the Constitution, Read, met in the home of the Rev. Alison in 1743.

The academy later relocated to Newark, where it evolved into the University of Delaware, one of the nation’s leading public institutions of higher learning. The University’s 1743 Society, an annual giving association, pays tribute to the institution’s origins.

1 Like

1 Like

(source)

3 Likes

EXPORT OF “KAPTON” POLYIMIDE FILM TO THE USSR-IL 1746

Capture Date: 01 JAN 1994 Channel Indicators: n/a Current Classification: UNCLASSIFIED Concepts: STRATEGIC TRADE CONTROLS, EXCEPTIONS LIST, POLYIMIDE FILM Control Number: n/a Copy: SINGLE Draft Date: 13 AUG 1975
1 Like