Cute synonyms for nookie from bygone times

There is a little confusion here. Number 25 is “Pogue the hone”. That sounds
very similar to the Irish Gaelic phrase “Póg mo thóin” which is an insult
that means “kiss my ass”. Definitely an insult, not a positive description
of a hot night.

1 Like

Off-topic yet again, but it’s taken me two days get my head far enough from “consummate V’s” to be able to read the word you posted as a verb rather than an adjective.

1 Like

didn’t even have to play it.
“I said consummate 'V’s-- CONSUMMATE!” :dragon_face:

3 Likes

I’d guess Robert Burns- he uses the word a fair bit in ‘The Merry Muses of Caledonia’ (which is strikingly filthy from beginning to end), but I’ve never read or heard it anywhere else.

Unlikely. The Hobbit put me off the whole concept of poetry at a very young age. My eyes glaze over, should I ever encounter it.

1 Like

I assumed that it was a pun. Kissing and asses, after all, are both related to the general endeavour.

2 Likes

I find the horizontality is more comfortable and leaves more energy for concentrating on the task at hand… and it’s probably more necessary for those with an appreciable height or girth discrepancy… I’d say you could be in the minority on that.

Unless perhaps I’m ignorant of my ignorance and you can enlighten me as to practices I should be pursuing?

While rollerskating, maybe…? I dunno

I’m going to purposely avoid looking up the context for that engraving because it’s so much more fun to make up my own.

2 Likes

The lexicographer dates that entry to 1719, which means she’s basing it on D’Urfey’s ballad MacBallor (“A comical ditty, in imitation of the Irish stile”), in which a singer assumes the role of a comic stage Irishman and reminisces about the Battle of the Boyne for the amusement of London audiences. In particular, 'So I may no more pogue the hone of a woman…’ (another version has So I may no more follow after a woman).

So it reads to me as if the intended meaning was something like “I may no more run around after / kiss the arse of a woman”… but audience members who had not met enough angry Irishmen to hear the phrase might well have assumed a more copulatory sense.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.