Dead WalMart reborn as library

You’ve made your complaint. Do you have anything on-topic to add?

3 Likes

My argument is that it’s a big internet, and this site is normally worthwhile. Whining on the days it’s not worthwhile for you fills the comments with whining that makes it less worthwhile. If you’d rather be somewhere else, go there. If you’d rather stay here, make it better by sharing an interesting story, illuminate the story with funny or informative comments, or express an opposing viewpoint in an informative respectful way. On the site, every day, there are always stories I find absolutely uninteresting, or repetitive on a topic I already feel is overly covered. I don’t read or comment on those stories. I find it curious that others find it necessary to do so.

4 Likes

I have heard they commit suicide as well. They will do what they call “bracketing” which means putting two walmarts on opposite sides of one town and then when many/most of the local businesses have ceased to be, they will close one of the walmarts to increase profits. Basically the know in advance they do not need all the walmarts they build and plan on closing some before they even break ground on them.

1 Like

Seattle already has one of those…

1 Like

Requiring it to pay for every dollar welfare and EBT pays out so that WalMart can underpay its staff would probably also do the trick. :smile:

2 Likes

I know I shouldn’t be surprised by anything they do, but that cold blooded deliberate economic murder suicide just surprised me again. Damn.

1 Like

I’d imagine on the whole lots of good things happen in Texas. However, there are so many ideas that are overwhelming turds coming from the place they’re hard to note and celebrate.

2 Likes

Yes. Why doesn’t there have to be a reference to previous work on the topic by another contributor? I may misunderstand, but it seems like it is something that should be noted, like when articles say “update: some new info from john doe…”

1 Like

VORP-VORP-VORP-VORP!!! Love it!

I was half kidding, I know Austin is pretty awesome and have family in Texas/was born in Texas so its not all bad. Though it does seem like the only time we ever hear about Texas is when they do something stupid.

1 Like

As noted in the previous post, this Walmart didn’t fail. The building did. So they had to expand to a larger location nearby. And considering there are, like, 5 Walmarts in and around McAllen, I don’t think there is any trend here going the way Walmart haters might wish.

Ironically enough, this library exists because of Walmart’s success.

1 Like

How can it be cost effective for a community to air condition that space, never mind maintain it? It’s many times the space any actual library needs.

Friends in Austin try to make the rest of us jealous because of cool happenings. They often succeed. Many events center around this place:

1 Like

My hometown is supposed to get a super Walmart after nearly 10 years of people fighting over it. The super Walmart is going to be across the street from the old Walmart, but it is not clear what they are going to do with the building. The rumors include Walmart being required to find a tenant before vacating the building or paying a fee to the city.

Citation please.

1 Like

Really? How many towns of 133k could possibly need 124,000 sq ft of library? Sure, there’s room for kids to run around, but free to get isn’t free to own. The maintenance and A/C of such a place will drain presumably finite resources that could actually be put to it’s collections and programs rather than the white elephant space.

I’d like to cite numbers, but most libraries present themselves by their number of volumes, not their square footage. My local branch is about 4000 sq ft.

Well, I looked around and saw lots of information about libraries and square footage. In general, it seems like the bare minimum recommendation is 0.6-0.7 square feet per capita, with 1.0 square feet per capita being ideal. Also, you have to consider the space not just for books, but also for audio/visual collections, periodicals, computer stations, seating, staff areas, meeting areas, and other special use areas. You also have to consider not just the present population that the library serves (which may be greater than the population in the city limits), but how fast it may grow.

Given how cheap Walmart is usually described as being, I would be kind of surprised if it did not try to minimize costs like that.

Slightly smaller population here in Ann Arbor at about 114k, but the square footage of all the library branches probably comes close to 124k (if you include all the university libraries, we well exceed that squrare footage). In towns where people like to read and/or gather, a huge library is an absolute boon to the community.

I was just going to reply with similar stats for Lansing. 13 branches and each one rocks hard! :smiley: I lovelovelove our library system. Go cadl.org

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.