Death threats drive Anita Sarkeesian from her home

[Permalink]

The offending account has been suspended, hopefully because itā€™s part of an ongoing criminal investigation.

8 Likes

this is just horrible. i hope someone is able to help her, and she is able to sleep peacefully. damn trolls! damn them.

9 Likes

Iā€™m going to tell them the same thing I tell jihadists:

If you have to threaten or kill people to prove youā€™re right, it means you arenā€™t.

43 Likes

Reading the Snappy response to sexist harasser yesterday I was depressed by the line, ā€œBrianna Wu is a game developer and a frequent writer about gender issues in tech. As such, she frequently receives harassing, unpleasant emails.ā€

Emphasis mine. What was depressing about that story is what makes this story even worse: itā€™s expected. It would be nice to live in a world where this story is shocking because itā€™s uncommon rather than being shocking because it happens too often.

30 Likes

Itā€™s awful that anybody would write such a thing and he should be prosecuted for it, but what makes them credible? A loser who makes threats on Twitter generally isnā€™t raping anybody.

2 Likes

The offending posts included specific, credible information, including home addresses of both her and her family.

20 Likes

When you cast the light of truth into the shadowy abyss of ignorance, sometimes you find monsters.

I wish her all the best :frowning:

10 Likes

Freedom of speech only works when everyone can feel itā€™s safe to speak.

Iā€™m willing to grant that a person willing to use threats to suppress dissent might sometimes be on the right side of an argument. But without being able to test it against the dissenting views that were just suppressed, how is anyone ever going to know?

Suppressing other peopleā€™s points of view is a rejection of fallibilism, even if one claims to be a fallibilist.

1 Like

Honestly, if this were a domestic violence situation, Iā€™d find the threats credible, but not when it comes to strangers. Iā€™m in a fandom where the celeb has actually been stalked and physically threatened by so-called fans and those fans were not making threats on Twitter beforehand. The ones that talk the most on social media tend to actually do the least in real life.

1 Like

You know, Iā€™d like to take issue with this:

In so doing, these men have ably demonstrated the point Sarkeesian sought to make all along: that gaming is riddled with misogynistic violence, and that this violence reflects a real-world misogyny rampant within the gaming world.

But then, from the article there is this:

[Those issuing threats] also inexorably linked criticism of her work, valid or not, with semi-delusional vigilantism

Yeah, basically at this point itā€™s very hard to disagree with Sarkeesian just because itā€™s stomach churning to see what people who disagree with Sarkessian are like.

You know or can be reasonably expected to know sheā€™s received threats before without taking actions like this. You donā€™t know the specific nature of the threat or why the reaction is as it was. Speculating is absurd.

14 Likes

Jeez, that sure are some dreary, depressing wankwits in the world. I hope the jizzstains responsible for this sort of thing are brought to book and given the appropriate treatment.

1 Like

I think we shouldnā€™t down play things happening hereā€¦butā€¦

It should be recognized that these violent incidences have the ā€˜hive mindā€™ type reactions, where a few miscreants that fit the bill for misogynistic ass wipes, create a swarm of trolls that cause the enormous damage. The same is happening in ferguson, as you have a situation that attracts the malcontents whose only real desire it to cause pain, suffering and whatever.

I only say this because of what the mind believes about the preponderance of people that would do this kind of activity in solitude versus those who would only act, or do act, in congregations.

We had the discussion on boingboing recently about how certain beliefs in society, such as, ā€˜binge drinking is acceptableā€™ are generally held by a minority, but propped up by a majority of thinkers, who think to go against the norm in a given situation would put them at a disadvantage. The group think is what is important to recognize.

So at the end of the day, every time this minority acts, thereā€™s a majority which doesnā€™t push back, allowing them to appear grander than they are.

If we donā€™t recognize that thereā€™s a seed of mysogny, surrounded by a coating of trolls, given space by an apathy, we may realize and create the inverse avenue, and create the vaccuum of space that allows hate itself to breed, regardless of idealogues, because the trolls will flutter to either side.

3 Likes

Trolls are trolls, and they are completely wrong in what they are doing here, but are we not furthering sexism by stating as fact that they are male? Yes, logic dictates that they are, but that is not factual, and assumes that women cannot be trolls as well.

I wish her the best, and continued safety.

I just canā€™t understand the threat-makers getting this worked up over bullshit. Because entertainment is bullshit. Where is everyone getting worked up over true injustice in this world? I can understand being a pratt on the net over this bullshit. The internet pays attention to those who bray the loudest. But to actually threaten people and make them unsafe? Over bullshit? WHAT THE FUCK!?! Seriously.

Whether or not you agree with Sarkasian, nothing changes. You can still play the games she calls misogynistic. She doesnā€™t have some magic tool to erase them from your hard drives or DVDs or BluRays.

We should lump these assholes with the ones in the other parts of the world that deny education to women and put them on an island somewhere and let them just be bitter and leave the rest of us alone to be kind, enlightened, and civil.

8 Likes

Itā€™s awfully easy to discount threats as non-credible when theyā€™re pointed at someone else.

Seriously, the tweets included threats of explicit violence, sexual violence, and arson, visited on her and her family, attached to their home addresses. Thatā€™s more than enough to be a criminal act in any jurisdiction you can name.

Honestly, reading the tweets sounded like they came from something out of American Psycho.

But go on, tell us how hypothetically brave youā€™d be if it was your name, your home address, your familyā€™s names and home addresses, attached to those threats.

23 Likes

Youā€™re laboring under the misapprehension that itā€™s possible to be sexist against men.

Itā€™s not.

Itā€™s possible for men, individually, to face gender discrimination.

But sexism is a system, deeply rooted, universally experienced, constant undertone in the lives of women. It is not a series of isolated incidents: it is an inescapable fact of life.

35 Likes

How do you know that a person who makes specific threats like that hasnā€™t sexually assaulted anyone ?

6 Likes

Are you some sort of ā€œdevilā€™s advocateā€ ?

3 Likes

The individuals making the threats all identify as and present themselves as male. All of them. Not the majority of them. Not a significant fraction of them. Not some of them. Not one of them. ALL of them.

No, weā€™re not furthering sexism here. Weā€™re calling out facts.

18 Likes