Deep Down the rabbit hole of games industry sexism

It is dismaying to see that for you “being threatened by rape” is one of the main markers of a female character in a game. Otherwise-pointless bows, mascara, and brass bikinis are silly. Rape takes it up to 11.

11 Likes

I dunno, I have a penis and a pregnant wife but this sort of thing bothers me. Unless the storyline is about being in the Taliban or the 1930s Boy Scout movement, I can’t see the justification for any storyline containing only men.

12 Likes

But it doesn’t have to be. This is the same company that at least started things by making Chun Li a badass of equal to anyone else in Street Fighter II. Hanging onto the best selling game for 20 years you’d think they would have paid some attention to it.

1 Like

I have had the very good fortune of working with many strong women. Many of whom became my friends. They have been strong in mind, body, and spirit.

Anyone who does not recognize that men and women are different yet equal is missing out on such good fortune.

Get back to me when men are equal enough to create new humans inside their bodies. :wink:

Women are better than men. In nearly every way.

I get to point this out because I’m male. It’s like a Borscht Belt comedian making “cheap Jew” jokes, you know? I’m privileged that way.

But isn’t it nice for him that he has that option to play the game in a way that he would like?

It’s not about taking on another identity, sometimes it’s about taking on an identity that you identify with and want to be like. And wouldn’t it be nicer if publishers would accept that females like to play games too? It literally would cost them nothing to provide 20 guys and 4 women. Soul Edge managed to do all right. Fricking Gauntlet even had a female Valkyrie in 1985, it’s not difficult to call some pixels female in a game.

3 Likes

Hilarious. She equated men to worms and now she expects to be taken seriously? At all?

I’m a woman who enjoys gaming but this twit’s a twat to be ignored.

5 Likes

Uhm. This gif IS misandry.

4 Likes

It is hard to put female characters into games. In many of these modern games, character animation is one of the most expensive elements of the game.

What you’re saying here is that it’s hard to put characters in games, not female characters. So decide at the front end of game development that X number of characters will be female. You won’t be “adding” characters, you’ll simply be creating them as part of initial game development.

11 Likes

The lesson they got from Chun-Li is that their audience loves boob bounce and soft luscious thighs. The fact that she was one of, if not the, strongest fighters in SFII was probably not a design goal, it’s just something that naturally came from her high speed and high priority.

A better example is probably Resident Evil, where the main character is both female and not excessively sexualized. Unfortunately, this is more of an aberration in their catalog. It’s hard to find other examples.

Having literally had my head kicked in so many times in that game by her, it’s hard to believe they didn’t know what they were doing making her badass. My point was that Capcom has made female characters before, they can do it again.

What about the other genders, though? Is this fair to them?

except it would cost more. Stories have to be re-written, voices have to be re-recorded, animations have to be redrawn, whole new objects have to be re-created. Gauntlet could do it in 1985 because it literally changed one graphics asset in the game. Games are orders of magnitude more complex now than they were 30 years ago, and changing one thing has knock on effects which can’t be predicted.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I thought we were talking about stories that involved gender, not flipping a switch so that you could add stereotypically “girly” things to your character.

If I’m playing a female character, but the story is identical, what’s the use of gender?

If I’m playing a female character, I would expect the bad guys to realize that I’m female and act accordingly. Most bad guys are out to kill, torture, and maim the main character. Their actions and threats should be gender-appropriate. Most RPGs that allow for gender-based customization are essentially “genderless.” But if you want to remove context from my post, I can’t stop you.

2 Likes

Borderlands has female playable characters in their pool of options, as interesting and powerful as the male characters. As far as I can tell, the female characters are quite popular among male players. Talk in co-op is about skill trees, tactics, and guns, not who makes Mr Boner happy.

Gearbox makes this work smoothly because they record all the dialog with different voices for each character anyway and they have the NPCs call you “Vault Hunter”. There aren’t as many female characters as male characters and their outfits are more about male fantasy than female, so there’s room for improvement, but they (and the Mass Effect series) really do stand as an example of what is possible for motivated character designers.

8 Likes

but if all the male characters can use the same voice actor and the same armour meshes and the same script then adding a new one at any stage in development means that the money can be used to best effect. if every time you want to add a new class of armour you need to essentially create it twice and then test to make sure that the each and every character uses the correct model in the correct way, costs and effort suddenly start to get out of control

Uh, so you wanted villains to threaten your Broshep with sodomy? Sounds silly right?

10 Likes

Unless your protagonist is your typical silent character who NPCs talk to. Which is exactly what Deep Down looks like it is.

3 Likes

My heart bleeds.

3 Likes

Guys can pee standing up without completely removing their pants or performing gymnastics.

Not that I suggest attempting it, but if one were to run a tally of the advantages each gender is physically capable of enjoying, it would probably end up a tie.

4 Likes