Delware school district wants kids to get signed permission before checking out YA library books

[Permalink]

1 Like

Yeah ā€œyoung adultā€* is a target audience, not a ā€œPGā€ like ratingā€¦
*Pre-adult or ā€œteenā€ would be a more accurate description, but I think that ā€œteenā€ became too ā€œuncoolā€ to be used for marketing purposesā€¦
But I remember when I was in high school in the late '70s early '80s there was a proposal to take Time and Newsweek out of the school libraries because they contained to many unpleasant storiesā€¦Folks these kids are going to be living in the world in a few years, itā€™s probably a good idea to let them read about it firstā€¦

15 Likes

When I was a teen, a parent indicating that I shouldnā€™t read something was one way to make absolutely sure I would find a way to read it.

11 Likes

Had to read on before I had enough to deduce that YA meant young adult. Is that a well-known abbreviation? Is that like using the term ā€˜small pintā€™ for ā€˜half pintā€™ (which I was once sold) - i.e. not an actual pint? As it seems to be a term designed to flatter, then itā€™s clearly a marketing term. Why is it used in school categorisation systems?

Regardless of what you call that ā€˜tierā€™ of reading material, yeah:

I suppose that should include learning about the tricks of marketing language too.

Why is it used in school categorisation systems?

Because selling the kids on reading IS the point. I actually think the the term was originally used by libraries rather than publishers. Lots of terms are inaccurate on the face of themā€¦figure skating, stock cars, etcā€¦But those are still the terms that we use to describe them because they ARE the standard terms.

As an unlovable misanthrope, I would definitely not want my kids exposed to explicit descriptions of friendships.

8 Likes

Exactly! And that is a good thing. I used to use reverse psychology on my son by telling him I thought he was too young to read, and truly understand certain books, which I would then leave out. It did not work too often, but I had some victories. It is not necessary that they fully understand everything at first. Being ā€œuncomfortableā€ is part of growing up.As a teen, facing unpleasant truths is a part of growth, and it helps you be prepared for the real world coming at you at breakneck speed.

4 Likes

When I was in high school we needed a permission slip to check out Slaughterhouse 5 from the school libraryā€¦and only needed money to buy it at one of the mall bookstores.

Iā€™m glad this policy was pulled, because if it were in effect a lot of kids would be forced to go to Amazon.

1 Like

sp: Delaware

2 Likes

I had to look it up myself about a month ago. Apparently it is well-known, because I had to skim through three sites about what it represents which kept using it without spelling it out.

1 Like

We had a kerfluffle happen with Catcher in the Rye. Some suburban, idle mom COUNTED the cuss words, then complained to the school. I was a sophomore in high school, they had us get permission slips to be allowed to read it for English.

My father was the arbiter of such things in our house, he asked me what it was about. I told him. He asked the alternative, it was Huckleberry Finn (really. this was 1971 or so). ā€œYou read that when you were. what, 12?ā€ he said, because weā€™d talked about it afterwards.

Then he said probably the greatest thing a good parent can tell their kids. ā€œIf a book can harm you, I did not raise you right. And if you donā€™t know right from wrong at your age, I canā€™t teach it to you.ā€ then he signed the slip. And Iet him read my essay after I was done (got an A).

I still think Holden Caulfield was a selfish little git. And that was the essence of my essay.

3 Likes

So, one whole parent complained. I see the Chaney 1% Doctrine is still alive and well somewhere.

every.

FIFY.

As a high school sophomore I doubt you learned any new words from Catcher in the Rye.Like Curly said when the judged asked if he swore, No! but I know all the words.

1 Like

Greetings dragonet2 ā€“

I really like your Dadā€™s sentiment and attitude, your anecdotes & your post.

Thank you for posting.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.