Detroit Free Press photographer arrested, detained for seven hours

[Permalink]

My favourite part is that the photographer’s editor, who stormed down to the police department to complain about all this, is a Mr. Anger: Paul Anger. One hopes that he says his name in the James Bond manner: “Bond…James Bond”.

4 Likes

Stealing the SIM is a pretty impressive act of incompetence. Contains none of the data you wanted to suppress, is globally unique and can be trivially confirmed as belonging to a given party by the issuing telco(unless it’s a prepaid burner SIM; but I’ve never seen a company phone issued on those terms).

I know they don’t call them ‘pigs’ out of deference to their superior intellect and deep cunning; but are there actually people in the developed world who still haven’t heard that iPhones don’t have removable storage?

Taking her phone and arresting her was police ordinary-stupid-arrogant. I’m impressed with the management response to this, though. I think it’s sensible to investigate to make sure how it went down, but they made some good strong statements about their policy, the law, and taking this seriously.

1 Like

are there actually people in the developed world who still haven’t heard that iPhones don’t have removable storage?

I raise my hand without shame. Why would I know that? I don’t have one & have never poked into one.

5 Likes

You know what, fuck these guys. LAYOFFS! Mass layoffs! Then they can join the rest of folks looking for a job.

1 Like

No worries, Detroit is preparing to enter bankruptcy proceedings. The appointed Emergency Manager is currently in negotiations with the city’s creditors. Once the filing takes place, I’d expect a mass exodus of emergency services personnel.

The most shocking thing to me about this story is that they cared enough to even try to supress the video. Normally, Detroit cops are pretty fucking busy with more important things, like murdering little girls on a wrong-house raid and covering up the mayor’s illegal shit. This is more petty than we’re used to hearing out of the department.

2 Likes

Seems a knee-jerk response. I didn’t see them doing anything in the original arrest that they wouldn’t want seen anyway. Seemed calm and professional. (Although I desperately wanted them to pull the dude’s pants up. Maybe it was a crime against decency he had comitted when getting dressed that morning.)

1 Like

Perhaps the officer knew his actions would result in;

1. getting the rest of the summer off while suspended with pay.

2. getting a slap on the wrist and retraining.

3 Likes

…and, apparently have no contingeny plan to suppress evidence on one.

2 Likes

no contingeny plan to suppress evidence on one

Hm. More discreet than just putting it in a blender; with what’s likely to be at hand at the police station; against ordinary recovery, not FBI … Hitting the sync cable socket with the cut ends of an extension cord comes to mind. Short shot in a microwave. Open it up and hit it with a little bit of a cleaner that has plenty of lye. My son killed a Blackberry by drenching it in bubble soap, rinsing it while it was turned on, then hiding it for a day.

1 Like

“This won’t work anymore, but boy, it is clean!”

3 Likes

And it smelled nice, too.

1 Like

Well, this doesn’t bode will for the future of Omni Consumer Products.

2 Likes

Quite the opposite. All of the city’s assets may soon be on the market, including contracts to privately run the various departments. We don’t know exactly how nakedly libetarian it all could end up being at this point.

My hat is off to those brave Americans who are willing to risk a trumped-up arrest in order to protect our civil-liberties.

But man, oh man, an NCIC arrest record is an utterly indelible, follow-you-everywhere-for-the-rest-of-your-life electronic Scarlet Letter. An arrest record is available to any employer willing to pay for a background check, and it’s an immensely powerful tool for a single police officer to utterly – and without any accountability whatsoever – ruin your life simply by arresting you on bogus charges, even if the charges are dropped a couple hours later.

It’s the kind of thing that you used to read about in stories from East Germany, where annoying a single government agent could get you black-listed for life. Except it’s here in America, right now, for real.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.