who was responsible for Hitler they might not have said the Germans but
rather the people who voted for him.

People might say the Germans were responsible for Hitler, but if you
mention German members of the resistance they will probably say something
like - well not those Germans.

So there might be some part of the American people that would be given a
pass on being complicit in the crimes of their leadership, the question is
what part?

As one of the oddballs that tries to keep governments separate from citizens when discussing past atrocities, I’ve never been able to place blame for Hitler’s orders on anyone but him. Yes, the German people are responsible for turning a blind eye to what Hitler was doing to Jewish, Catholic and dissident citizens. No, I can’t hold the German people responsible for the crimes they could not know until after the war was over.

What I have never quite grasped in all the blamestorming is what, exactly, the rest of the world would’ve had the German people do? Or what could the German people have done? The questions get even harrier in the present in regards to the US. Voting in a President isn’t a magic bullet. Armed insurrection? No. Have you seen what our military can do? Not paying our taxes would be about as useful as the House Republicans shutting down the government for nearly 2 weeks. The workers and the poorest Usians suffer, no one in the power structure. So what, planet Earth, would you like us to do? My own representatives have voted against this nonsense from day one or weren’t in office yet. I voted against GW three times. I voted for O the first time because he was supposed to stop the bullshit. Had to vote for him a second time, because the Republican candidate was just a bad idea and I didn’t want to be responsible for voting in WWIII.

Can we admit that the US is the most powerful banana republic to ever exist? I think the time has come to acknowledge the truth.

1 Like

No guts, no glory. But some of you guys sound like you’re trolling for people to incriminate themselves.

“I’m not going to believe you are working against evil until you prove you put molasses in Obama’s gas tank!”

Wait, somebody’s knocking at my door

sighup
NO CARRIER
+++ATh0

Let me fix that for you
Do you pay taxes? If you do, then you INdirectly funded what occurred.

That defense has not worked well in the past. (and that’s as close as Godwin’s Law allows. . .)

1 Like

Shame them ? Hell, what they did is legally assault and battery, at minimum. Name them, CHARGE THEM, and TRY THEM. Last time I checked, the proper route for criminal activity was a fair trial in front of a jury of peers. . .

1 Like

Ordinarily I’d agree completely. But these yahoos will all just claim Sovereign Immunity… No judge will allow charges to go forward, and no prosecutor would touch them if they could. I’d much rather see them all, top to bottom, marched off to GTMO themselves, but barring that, I fear a permanent Internet record of just what sort of terrible human beings they all are may be the best we can get. But that, at least, is an entirely achievable goal…

Well, considering that Torture is considered a War Crime. . . have the International Court of Justice prefer charges. If they don’t dare cross an international border. . . .

I’d posit that goes further than even the voters in Germany. Time Magazine, '36? Moseley, and the despicable actions of the Daily Mail (surely not!) here in the UK? The tacit acceptance by Russia (who trained up Red Army Troops?). It’s all of us, worldwide. Increasingly so.
/godwin
(edit, not that I for one second believe, or suggest, that you as a German bear any responsibility for those excesses more than I do for slavery or the Opium Wars. But we do for what happens now due to our actions, or lack thereof, as you so eloquently put)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.