Doraville SWAT team's online video says everything about U.S. police militarization

It doesn’t cost anything. That’s the whole problem. If Doraville had to appropriate money, they wouldn’t do it. But Congress created a military transfer program back in the 90’s, and now surplus armored vehicles and helicopter gunships are made available to police departments for free.

Why doesn’t anyone talk about semiotics anymore? This APC is a symbol of military might in the hands of a non-military government entity. Police militarization is all about the police gaining more authority and more power than they deserve. They’re public servants, not public armies. And when you have a 3 ton piece of tracked armor kicking around, it feels wasteful not to use it whenever possible. It’s simply a bad idea to give the police more weaponry than they require, and sure, this APC doesn’t have a cannon on it, or mounted .50 cal machine guns, but it is still a piece of psychological weaponry. It’s a piece of equipment who’s sole purpose in the hands of a police department is its use as a tool of intimidation. It serves no valid function that can’t be achieved more cheaply and better with the proper, non-military grade weaponry already available to police departments everywhere.

2 Likes

Just before I started the video I could hear the theme from the A-Team playing in my head, and I was disappointed when the video began and the soundtrack went in a very different direction.

To be fair, some police districts do need armored vehicles for the express purpose of clearing other vehicles and debris. While the old-style SWAT van is what we are accustomed to seeing on our streets it does not mean that there is room for technological advancement.

Again, the analogy is that flip phones worked just fine. Technically still do. Why does one NEED a stylish smart phone or smart watch for making phone calls? Rotary phones still function fine, why did we move past them?

The change in the style of the vehicle while a concern, is a minor one in my opinion. So long as it is being used in the same purpose, manner, and fashion as the older version SWAT van. Just because the vehicle has plating on it, it isn’t any more threatening than before. It can be as dangerous or as harmless as its predecessor.

The weapons they employ however…that’s another matter entirely! Migrating from a manual loading 6 round revolver which was once standard police issue to the tactical semi-automatic military grade.22 rifles we see employed far too liberally…THAT IS DEEPLY CONCERNING.

Again with another analogy: Moms & Dads of the 50’s drove the station wagon, in the 90’s they traded those in for SUVs like Explorers, Suburbans, and Hummers. Concerning, sure…but not nearly on the level of the average gun-toting American in the 50’s having a shotgun, hunting rifle or revolver who in the 90’s and 00’s now have military grade weapons like M16s, M60s, and SAWs.

I choose to pick my battles. If my local police force wants the stupid APC instead of a SWAT Van of old, sure go for it. But lets trade off and take away the semi automatic rifles and swap in bean bag guns, tasers, and other non lethal weapons.

1 Like

Let me pose you a little thought experiment here:

Go down to your local surplus store, or police tactical supply store, or whatever. Acquire the following items.

• A kevlar helmet
  • A gas mask
  • Body armor
  • Knee pads
  • A riot shied
  • Military style camouflage blouse and trousers
  • Military style boots

Notice there’s not a weapon in the above list.

Now, don those items and go for a stroll in the downtown business district of the town or city where you reside. Don’t say anything threatening, indeed, don’t speak at all, just meander about. Stand on a street corner and stare at passersby for a while, then move to another street corner and repeat.

How long do you suppose it will be before you are surrounded by cops who are attired similarly to yourself, but who have lots of weapons, all pointed at you?

4 Likes

I was a city councilman here in Doraville.

The amount of money spent on the police department was obscene, consuming almost $6 million of the city’s savings over four years.

The police officers are good professionals but the PD is wildly outsized for a less than four square mile town.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.