Dumbass White House drone-crasher was drunk National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency employee

[Permalink]

1 Like

When I enjoy a wee dram I tend to drone on, but in a different kind of way…

9 Likes

Emphasis on “was”.

4 Likes

Damn those drunken war cartographers.

3 Likes

Wait - there’s a National Geospatial Intelligence Agency?

1 Like

He did them a favor in the long run. And his government position seems pretty irrelevant here–“drunk guy crashes drone onto white house lawn” is enough.

1 Like

So I wonder if he can see a career change coming from his observation point way on high.

1 Like

“Dude. This thing is awesome.”
“It is totally awesome.”
“Dude. Lets fly it over the White House.”
“Yeah right.”
“Seriously. Dude. We’re right here.”
“OK. What the hell.”
“Wait… what just happened?”
“FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK”.

5 Likes

Betcha Snowden was behind it.

There is, but we’re not allowed to tell you where it is.

4 Likes

I just found out an old friend makes and sells high end $10K drones. Some really neat stuff…

1 Like

I got bit by the bug over the holidays. I’ve gone from a $50 toy to my first build in a month… its very addictive.

2 Likes

It isn’t ‘relevant’ in any grand way; but it is arguably the most amusing of the 17 possibilities, so it’s a fun addition to the story.

I suppose that there is an argument to be made that AFISRA would be even better; with NASIC or the NRO as runners-up; but NGA is pretty funny.

I’m from the government, I’m here to help {buuuurp}

2 Likes

It’s not going to seem so funny when the terrorists weaponize drones on US soil and the guvmint’s policy that it’s okay to assassinate people with drones comes back to bite them.

I can tell you its momentum though.

2 Likes

I suspect that we already have the legalese written up explaining exactly why real nation states get to use assassin robots; but ‘terrorists’ do not(a lot of it is probably just cut-and-paste from the stuff written to explain the difference between a ‘soldier’ and an ‘illegal enemy combatant’, who is nevertheless not a civilian, so it should be a fairly quick job. Maybe Yoo can send them some interns?). Not that that would stop the drones, of course; but absolutely no internal inconsistency will need to be admitted.

More generally, I’m not in favor of more weaponized drones buzzing around, even less if they are in my vicinity; but as a theoretical ethical point I’d say that it’s quite arguable that technological improvements that allow a Dune-style ‘war of assassins’ situation of strikes against high-level figures is more ethical than the traditional approach.

Historically, (to quote from the, um, boundless moral high ground of GTA 4’s Nico Bellic) “War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.” And mostly it is. The leadership of both sides, to the degree that they can, avoid the fight, and even if they lose are often given relatively decorous treatment, while the fighting mostly chews up the local civilians and the conscripts, patriots, and plain dumb kids recruited to do the fighting.

I’m sure that the howls of outrage among respectable establishment commentators would reach the heavens, and the cordons of guys with guns and little ear-radio-helix-things would multiply dramatically; but I can see a very cogent moral argument for a war where some or all of the grunt grinding is replaced with a slaughter among the people with actual influence over the conflict. It would, of course, not be preferable to peace; but it might well be an improvement on the historical model.

3 Likes

I’d vote to lock the leaders into a cage and let them fight it out to the death. But using most of the country’s war budget to build fancy assassination robots doesn’t seem very sporting. Maybe the old 6-shooters and showdown at high noon was a good compromise after all.

1 Like

Given the popularity of politicians, this could quite well be a highly profitable pay-per-view business.

1 Like

I for one welcome our drunken robot piloting underlings.