Everyone hates the NSA: survey

Too bad they didn’t include the other Five Eyes countries in the survey.

2 Likes

You totally borked the headline. Really, “everybody hates the NSA” is what I would expect. The real news is that half of Americans are OK with it! That totally surprised me.

1 Like

WTF?!!

They didn’t bother to ask Canadians??

5 Likes

The question was regarding the NSA spying on citizens of other countries. I’m sure the answer would be different if it was about the NSA spying on its own citizens.

5 Likes

"The secretive British spy agency GCHQ has developed covert tools to seed
the internet with false information, including the ability to
manipulate the results of online polls …"

7 Likes

Although the page Cory linked to makes it look like 49% find spying on American citizens is acceptable and 47% say unacceptable, if you look at the breakdown for the U.S. specifically, you’ll see that those numbers are actually for monitoring of other countries’ citizens. However, when asked if it is acceptable for American monitoring of American citizens, 61% said unacceptable, and 37% said acceptable.

That makes a lot more sense. Looks like Pew got a bit mixed up since Americans were the only ones asked about other countries’ citizens.

6 Likes

I think I explained the mix-up below… Everyone hates the NSA: survey

Haha, wow look at Greece. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a survey that lopsided.

1 Like

I first read that as “GCHQ’s project Underpants” … :blush:

4 Likes

And why did this have to be a Pew Research study? The NSA could have provided the same data, with much smaller margin of error…

3 Likes

well we are looking at the wrong graph:

http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/07/14/nsa-opinion/table/suspected-terrorists/

that combined with the fact that we are all suspected terrorists means everything is good :smile:

2 Likes

But, but, but, the USA is included in the survey.

Because we’re mindless sock puppets of the USA, don’tcha know. :eyeroll:

1 Like

Great, 49% of Americans are as dumb as rocks.

3 Likes

Then again…
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/07/14/manipulating-online-polls-ways-british-spies-seek-control-internet/

7 Likes

Good catch. The number is still extremely disturbing, but not as soul crushingly disturbing as a plurality.

2 Likes

In response, the NSA made an official statement: “Like we give a flying fuck what any of you think (including American citizens)”.

5 Likes

Ah yes, that makes sense.

Still, 61 % of all Americans are okay with being monitored by their government. 78 % of Germans think that Americans shouldn’t get monitored by the American government. Of course, even more do not want to get monitored by the Americans, but know perfectly well that they don’t have any rights as long as they are outside the US.

So still , “No wonder they don’t get it” - the view on privacy and freedom from gorverment surveillance differ so much, that Germans and American don’t speak the same language. (But okay, we knew that ever since they dubbed the USA-GER alliance as “Freundschaft”, ignoring the linguistic chasm that separates this word from “friendship”.)

Same with free speech and freedom of religion, of course, only with reversed attitudes.

2 Likes

I think it was George Carlin who said something like “picture the average American…half of them are dumber than that.”

2 Likes

Because they know Canadians are too polite to say what they really think. :wink: