Fashionable diseases, past and present

Celiac disease isn’t the only reason people avoid gluten, though. It’s possible,if the gut is injured or there’s a bad overgrowth of candida (usually caused by overuse of antibiotics), for foods to be accessible to the rest of the body prior to being fully digested. And i n that case, foods commonly eaten can trigger reactions that are not exactly allergy, but similar. It’s not nice when it’s happening. But, some people get it into their heads that gluten or other foods were the real problem, and then they get anti-gluten religion and take it to extremes for extended periods.

Damned internet!

Oh. Got it!

Restless Leg Syndrome.

1 Like

SEITAN–THE VEGETARIAN WHEAT MEAT
There are probably several gluten-free-bandwagon-folks who partake joyously of mock-duck/etc without knowing what it is.

I don’t think that has quite what it takes to become a fad - it’s got too specific symptoms, and it seems a bit hard to use it to be special/annoying in public.

Oh, I dunno. I find people’s complaints about it annoying enough, and yet not serious enough, to qualify.

But, if you insist, then the answer has to be ‘depression’. Not the actual condition, but the diagnosis of ‘depression’, which is presently being applied to absolutely anything and everything a doctor can’t figure out - the alternative being Somatoform Disorder - which according to the most recent official definition, includes so many actual symptoms of real diseases ans disorders that it, also, means, “We dunno, therefore, you made it up in your own head”. Either way? There’s an antidepressant with your name on it. That’s pretty much on par with being diagnosed with ‘the vapors’.

Better?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.