Finnish antismoking ad

e-cigs helped me quit for sure.
In fact, that’s the only thing I can say worked, because I tried to quit several times before but couldn’t.

This is a huge issue with me about drug education programs. My stepson once had some kind of down with drugs program he attended and afterward (he was in 6th grade at the time) he said that they told him that “smoking pot made you smell bad.” Well, OKAAAAY. At no time did they ever tell the kids that doing drugs might be (gasp) fun.

So I feel like these programs lose all credibility with kids. I think there are a lot of good reasons not to do drugs and I’d prefer that they talk about those.

I also wish they would emphasize more of the emotional issues with drugs over the physical effects. I think this has more resonance with kids and I think that people understand risk and reward are intertwined so just because things are risky does not really mean you should not do them.

I remember when I was in high school I debated on the Pro marijuana illegal side in some classroom debate, but really my research led me to believe that the medical effects were pretty low .However, my own actual experience dating a Wake N Bake stoner was that the guy, whether he was physically addicted or not, had a real problem. I wish someone had maybe helped me to put those ideas into words; I would have been much quicker to identify the issues I was having with addicted friends.

BOO!! (cough, cough)!

2 Likes

The use of twins controls for genetics, age, and (normally) early childhood environment. It says far less about adult environmental factors like smoking, income, work environment, etc.

But I didn’t actually go dig up the original source, so maybe they dealt with this objection.

Got a brand name recommendtion?

I know a few people who managed to pull it off using Chantix. Then again, my SO tried and failed using the same drug. He quit cold-turkey in March, was a total grumpy pain in the ass for about two months, then calmed the hell down. The thing you need to be most prepared for is weight gain and pissing off people around you with your constant grump. Here we are, 9 months later, the weight is starting to come off him, a faint hint of cigarette smoke gives him a headache, and he’s got absolutely no cravings no matter his stress level.

Best of luck, however you decide to tackle your final demon.

I was thinking about Chantix, when it first started making waves, but I was turned off by the suicidal ideation reports. I get into fairly deep funks under my own power. The weight thing is a concern, as I’ve definitely turned the metabolism corner (four or even five gym visits a week just kind of maintains the status quo, anymore).

But I realize that cosmetic issues shouldn’t dissuade me from making an overall healthier choice. If and when I get around to actually doing this, I hope Girlfriend is prepared for the asshole I’ll almost certainly become. She already doesn’t like being around me when I parallel park…

1 Like

I used Pro Smoke - I know, the name is lame. The USB charger came in handy, as well.
Lots of vapor, made in the USA and a reasonable price.

Thx! I’ll give it a try.

Meh… I didn’t smoke and I look like crap. Aged about 10 years in 2 thanks to a combination of things (genes, life, chronic illness). I’ll never get my looks back. I guess I say this because, while it’s nice to encourage people to try to lead more healthy lives… why use people’s looks to shame them?

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.