Finnish is easy

Err… I think he meant “gender.” I’ve never heard of “genus neutral.”

I don’t really understand the link – are there a bunch of fonts missing, or do the characters keep standing around saying nothing for comedic effect?

Yes. What this person said. I’m a native English speaker with a Slavic degree. I’m currently determined to learn some Estonian because I recently discovered one of the greatest song writers on the planet: Vaiko Eplik and I really want to figure out some of his lyrics by my ownself. Also, old town Tallinn is awesome.

1 Like

Am I the only one who first saw this gag in the form of a “Polandball” comic? Curious things, those comics. (If said comic is somewhere on said “My Life Was Amazing Until I Was Born”, it seems to be buried now.)

6 Likes

Finnish is almost genre neutral.

Well duh! Who doesn’t use black metal as the measuring stick to compare everything against?

1 Like

I’m failry certain that some of these have never been used in a sentence. For example, “koiranannekokaan” basically means “Not even as your dog?”, but I don’t think there’s any way to construct a fluent Finnish sentece with it. The closest I could come up with is this:

“Koiranannekokaan koalaanne ei päästetty maahan?”

“Your koala wasn’t allowed to enter the country? Not even as your dog?”

1 Like

“sisällä koira, se on liian tumma lukea”

I say we ask a Finn.

tldr. I read the first few words but I couldn’t finnish it.

1 Like

It is a tree structure giving one unique word for each grandparent.
generation 0: you
generation -1: mor, far
generation -2: mormor, morfar, farmor, farfar
generation -3: mormorsmor, mormorsfar, morfarsmor, morfarsfar, farmorsmor, farmorsfar, farfarsmor, farfarsfar
generation -4 mormorsmormor, mormorsmorfar, and so on

1 Like

So would generation -6 be: mormorsmormorsmormor, mormorsmorfarsmormor, etc.?

I really like it. It feels more homespun than just a bunch of great-great-greats. It’s also nice to separately recognize each branch of the tree.

Growing up in northern WI, there were a lot of old folks who had that wonderful sing song accent to their english.

1 Like

So basically the Finnish are like that old Rob Schneider “Copy Room Guy” sketch from Saturday Night Live.

Hey, Koira. Makin’ copies. Koi-ran. Koirassa. Koirallekaan. Koirinemmekokaan. The Koimeister.

3 Likes

Russian was easy for me. Check out the case system of Estonian. Or Irish numbers and its clusterfuck of lenition and eclipsis.

2 Likes

Yes, your -5 mormorsmorsmorsmors mother would be your -6 mormorsmormorsmormor and her father would be your -6 mormorsmormorsmorfar.

Now we ony have to wait for longer lifespans to make this mechanism realy usefull…

1 Like

This makes it tough on The Stooges…

OK, there are getting to be too many similarities. We might be related!

1 Like

“Koirassa on liian pimeää lukea” would be a correct translation, unless there’s a nuance in the English sentence that I didn’t get.

I’ve always been fond of Donau­dampfschifffahrts­gesellschafts­kapitäns­kajüten­schlüsselloch but never had an opportunity to use it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.