Attempt to crush book with hydraulic press goes awry

[Read the post]

5 Likes

I take it that he was not the guy who used a press to fold a piece of paper too many times so it exploded.

1 Like

He should do one with a T-800.

6 Likes

“Gigapascal 4.51” just doesn’t roll off the tongue though, does it?

7 Likes

.[quote=“Michael_Phillips, post:2, topic:77125, full:true”]
I take it that he was not the guy who used a press to fold a piece of paper too many times so it exploded.
[/quote]

Nope, same guy.

11 Likes

It’s a cry for help, and I don’t mean the book. :fearful:

7 Likes

Finnish does have a reputation as a hard language.

28 Likes

It’s all the strong declensions.

4 Likes

He seems remarkably unruffled about how the explosion blew his blast shield right off the machine.

13 Likes

From the video commentary, I think the problem was less flying paper shrapnel and more that the press was pressing so hard that its frame flexed under it; when the book finally gave way, the frame rebounded so forcefully that everything sitting on it went flying.

21 Likes

I love living in a world where we have a hydronic press channel.

26 Likes

You just can’t trust the press anymore.

39 Likes

Paper beats rock. Duh!

16 Likes

I didn’t think a book is very dangerous

Now he knows better!

3 Likes

Freedom of the press!!!

2 Likes

It blowed up real good.

8 Likes

It is more that Finnish / English translation is incompressible. That is to say, indistinguishable from noise.

1 Like

The Finnish equivalent of Health and Safety Executive might want to have a word with him. The first thing I thought when I saw that rig was “definitely illegal in UK”. The crude hole in the safety cover was the first giveaway. He then actually put his hand into a live press. Apart from the obvious risks, if a hydraulic cable or joint fractures under pressure, the result can be nasty injuries in which oil is driven far under the skin. Those guards are there for a reason.

11 Likes

So modern.
According to tradition books get burned.

Also, are there apps to read the compressed data?

4 Likes

If it’s one thing I’ve learned from Disney is that rockets explode. Now I have to add books to that list.