Flexi Freedom retractable cord dog leash

Mayhem in the streets, I tell ya!

Lemme show ya schumpdin!!

This all seems a little over the top and shrill… As a vet, I’m sure you’re exposed to all the worst case scenarios but I think it may have distorted your perception a bit…

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen people use retractable leashes here in the city and I’ve never witnessed a single incident. No bloodcurling screams in the streets or desperate howls of injury that I’ve witnessed.

I think (like almost anything) these things in the wrong hands can be a danger. However, I love retractable leashes. I use them in busy areas (keep it locked). When I get to an open area, I unlock it and give the dog some happy leeway and guide the leeway with the trigger. Many Dogs over many years… no injuries to dogs or humanity whatsoever. I’ve seen plenty of people on standard leashes that can’t honestly say the same.

We’ve seen people use them literally everyday in Capitol Hill (Denver and other cities) for many years and we’ve never witnessed a single bad incident with retractable leashes (I just asked my SO and friends to check on this). And, this has been with a balcony view above the streets where we daily sit and people/dog watch.

While I can see disadvantages of retractable leases (in the wrong hands) the same can be said for those using a standard leash where the dog slows down, creates slack in the line, the owner trips over it and dies in agony.

5 Likes