Game dev Brianna Wu on what it's like to be forced from your home by sexist hate

These stupid stories strike me as what stand your ground was designed for, croudfund her a minigun and 10,000 rounds ammo and let loose with ole painless on their asses if they ever show up.
But outside of Grand Theft Auto the most likely life threat attack vector is SWATting type hacks which exploit excesses in hyper-militarized US law enforcement to use the inherent fearful mindlessness of the police as an intelligently though nefariously directed remote control weapon with a high lethality rate for anyone not expecting a raid.

5 Likes

Hypothetically, C11, if my grandmother had wheels, sheā€™d be a trolly car.

Hang in there, Ms. Wu, badass that you are.

14 Likes

You know, just reading a very little about GamerGate, I was kind of feeling like the women being targeted were being a little wimpy in their responses. But just seeing the awful things the sockpuppets are posting here on BoingBoing in response to the coverage here, I TOTALLY get it.

13 Likes

What if, hypothetically speaking, there was a guy who claimed something about his girlfriend, and he got all sorts of attention, increased name recognition, sympathy, and all sorts of offers for support. And while Iā€™m not saying itā€™s happened yet, if this keeps in the news it is only a matter of time until some Baron von ActorGuy sees the sympathy, attention, etc. this guy gets and creates a hashtag to glorify some totally non-oppressed whiners. Iā€™m sorry that people like that exist who would lie for attention but they do. NOW what happens when 4chan rallies around the guy and someone opposing you in this shows that he faked it. Proves it after youā€™ve been screaming and rending garments over it. Have you thought about what happens after that? Can no one play this game? Hey where are you going! Itā€™s my ball! You canā€™t justā€¦ hey! COME BACK HERE AND PLAY WITH ME OR Iā€™M GOING TO GO HOME AND POST ABOUT THIS ON TWITTER!

33 Likes

She might just be a small moped, you canā€™t be sure. Hypothetically speaking.

7 Likes

youā€¦ are a sad, suspicious, delusional little person who canā€™t see the real human that is being really hurt here for some imaginary fear youā€™ve given yourself.`

Iā€™m not sad. I may be delusional or of substandard heightā€¦ but that doesnā€™t make this sort of thing imaginary:
http://www.fakehatecrimes.org/
or that there arenā€™t some genuinely ā€˜sadā€™ people who crave attention and sympathy. Wishing they wouldnā€™t doesnā€™t work. And just because YOU are offended at the very idea doesnā€™t mean that more objective people looking at this from a distance havenā€™t already started to wonder how much of the indignation people are having is staged.

Feel free to ignore or berate me now, but donā€™t say I didnā€™t caution about it later.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what this game you speak of is, or who exactly is playing it except you.
It does however make me wonder, purely hypothetically of course, if you have stopped beating your wife.
Anyway, one loaded rhetorical question deserves another: if you were able to produce actual evidence of a person sending fake death threats to himself or herself, would you from that deduce that all death threats ever sent from or received by anyone were fake? How would you support that resoning with formal logic? Submit your answer in the form of a sequent notation. Games are fun!

11 Likes

Because that totally wouldnā€™t result in the gaters issuing real death threats and actually harassing her out of her home for real, right?

6 Likes

Sure, itā€™s possible. Weā€™ve seen people fake cancer and set up fundraising benefits. But itā€™s not like con games and scams are new, or that they have (or should) fundamentally alter the way we react to stories of horrible things happening to people.

And even if there was a history of this sort of fakery happening in this context, itā€™s clearly not happening here: the sheer volume of hatred is impossible to fake, and thereā€™s no conceivable profit motive (either monetarily or psychologically) for any of the women being targetted. I mean, this is a bit like accusing Gabrielle Giffords of faking a gunshot-induced brain injury, or using her as the basis for some delightful though experiment of how the sympathy she garners might encourage others to fake being shot in the head for sympathy and dollars.

14 Likes

Not to worry, you can sleep soundly at night, you get to parade around with your ā€œI told you so!ā€ shirt if Brianna Wu has faked all this.

6 Likes

Niceā€¦ but actually I havenā€™t been screaming or making a big deal about any of this. I donā€™t play video games. Donā€™t read the journalists or boards involved. Had no clue who any of the player were until someone here posted a link to a nice summary of the origin of it. So, Iā€™m not sure who you think is ā€˜opposingā€™ me in this that could embarrass me over it since I have neither taken any side nor made any claims. It is clear to me you are mad at someone and want to fight themā€¦ Itā€™s not me. And itā€™s not clear to me why you think it is. Unless you just like SCREAMING at people on the internet, Baron.

1 Like

The delusion is what makes it so sad. Itā€™s sad when people are too frightened of being taken hypothetical advantage of to actually be compassionate to actual people who are actually suffering. Itā€™s sad for that person (because they are isolating themselves out of fear), itā€™s sad for the suffering (who donā€™t get help), itā€™s just a tragic scenario.

See? If youā€™re not being a liar, thatā€™s just depressing, that someone could be so terrified of their fellow human beings that they canā€™t risk showing compassion (even just on some internet message board!) on the mere hypothetical possibility that it is could be not entirely deserved. It sounds like a lonely life, being so cruel.

Meanwhile, Brianna is sounding kick-ass and defiant and is someone worth rooting for, and I wish I could do more than just abstractly support all these courageous women in their time of need.

20 Likes

Mod note: When it comes to games, Falcor donā€™t play that.

5 Likes

If you think weā€™re jumping on you for no reason, allow me to share a link

Iā€™ll quote the most relevant bits here, as they apply to your hypothetical:

"One of the most radical things you can do is to actually believe women when they talk about their experiences"
"We are blamed for the abuse we receive and regularly told that we are either asking for it or inventing it entirely"

so, yeah, thatā€™s the context into which you dropped your hypothetical.

31 Likes

So you admit that you havenā€™t made any statements that youā€™re willing to stand behind?

In that case, do you actually have anything to offer the discussion, or are you just here to spray hypotheticals as smokescreen?

10 Likes

Obviously. I mean, why else would one center the conversation on themselves instead of what could be done to help solve the goddamned problem.

9 Likes

You need this:

http://imgur.com/o2Zucan

3 Likes

22 Likes

I have the distinct impression that it is not possible to even suggest a remark anymore that is anything less than a complete condemnation of the Bad People, at least not without being lumped in alongside them.

Soā€¦ What is left to say that rocketpj did not say already?

4 Likes

What a time to run out of ā€œlikesā€ for the day.

1 Like