“Game of Thrones” Season 5 trailer is pretty epic

[Permalink]

At the risk of sounding like Comic Store Guy, how spoiler-heavy is this? I’m desperate for a GoT fix but I don’t want to ruin the next series. I haven’t read the books, if it needs pointing out…

As always, stay away from the Youtube comments. Yiiiikes.

1 Like

I’d guess it’s not too bad if you’re caught up on season 4…? I’m not sure you’d know what’s going on if you didn’t already know from the books?

That soundtrack they chose is really terrible. It doesn’t work with what’s going to happen in S05 or what’s happening in the trailer.

1 Like

Based on that conversation with Tyrion it looks like Varys is taking over at least part of Illyrio’s role from the book. If so I think that’s a great idea; most of the show’s changes along those lines helped the plot move along better and gave more screen time to the characters who were interesting enough to warrant it.

Sansa’s gonna be the interesting one to watch. The show has already caught up to her storyline in the books, so anything’s possible for her now.

3 Likes

I’m curious to see how things go with announcement that the next book won’t be out until next year now! That means even longer for the last book, so will they push on ahead with out the books done, I wonder?

HBO has previously made statements to the effect that they were looking forward to continuing to developing the show with George R. R. Martin but they were also ready and able to go ahead without him if he couldn’t finish the series in time.

Over the last few years Martin himself has responded to the “what happens when the show catches up with the books” question with “that’s not going to happen!” and then “they could work in the prequel stuff!” and finally “why not put the show on hiatus for a couple of years? I might have another book done by then.”

Here’s the thing, George: You know the actor who plays Bran Stark, the one who is supposed to be about 10 years old according to the timeline of the book and maybe 11 or 12 according to the timeline of the show? He’s 16 years old now. And Maisie Williams, who plays his adorably homicidal prepubescent sister Arya? She’ll be a legal adult in a couple of months. A two-year hiatus isn’t going to work unless either

• Every actor under 30 is recast.
  • The next novel picks up the story several years later.
  • A magical aging spell afflicts the Westeros of the series. Probably the Red Witch or something.
2 Likes

Funnily enough, I recall reading that GRRM’s original plan for the books was to start everybody out young, and then basically have the story jump forward a few years.

1 Like

The good news is that with a time jump you could also re-cast everyone’s favorite characters much more easily.

6 Likes

Official trailer here… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wViILXQfX7Y

Yeah, I can’t see any of those things happening. The show will continue and the books will then become something based on the tv series. I think I’ll have to stop watching the show until all the books come out.

We’re a season behind anyhow (just recently watched season 3, I mean), but I’ve read the books (my better half has not), and I’m not sure what we’ll do once we get to past the most recent book. I’d love a “Flashback: Robert’s Rebellion” season after this current one or the next, but I’d guess we’d just forge ahead with the series, even if Martin isn’t done with the books.

That might actually work, if that’s what he was planning. If it’s a couple of years later in the shows/books timeline when Bran and Arya show back up, it won’t matter nearly as much, I’d guess.

I assume that the producers have at least asked GRRM to clue them in on some of the upcoming plot developments, or at a minimum let them know when they’re writing stuff into the show which will be difficult to resolve with future events in the books. Whether he agreed to do so or not is anyone’s guess.

When they started filming the Harry Potter movies J.K. Rowling shared as-yet-unpublished information with certain people to help them get the setting and characters right. For example, she told Alan Rickman about how Snape had been in love with Harry’s mother, so his outward disgust toward Harry was really based on the feelings of guilt and self-loathing Snape felt toward himself. I wonder if GRRM did the same thing with any of the “Game of Thrones” cast or crew.

1 Like

I assume that the producers have at least asked GRRM to clue them in on some of the upcoming plot developments, or at a minimum let them know when they’re writing stuff into the show which will be difficult to resolve with future events in the books.

Actually, he’s done more than that, they know how the whole thing is going to end already, just in case he dies before he finishes.

1 Like

“Dying before the task is done” would be SUCH a George R. R. Martin move.

4 Likes

Author Existence Failure. It’s a thing.

From what I understand, the books have already passed the point where he was planning to age up the characters - that is to say, he had originally planned to do that, but then scrapped it because it wasn’t working out the way he wanted.

1 Like

Ah! Oh well, that’s not an out for the show then, is it. They’ll just have to carry on as they are doing, whether he gets done or not.