Goldene is a film of gold one atom thick

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/18/goldene-is-a-film-of-gold-one-atom-thick.html

5 Likes

Neat. I am curious what a sheet of it looks like - but I imagine what they produced is very very very small.

6 Likes

I had to go back and find out, but it turns out the gold foil in Rutherford’s experiments was about 1000 atoms thick. Impressive that they were able to perform such accurate calculations considering that thickness. (They took that thickness into account in their model, although just that it was 0.00004 cm thick, they didn’t actually know the size of the atom.)

7 Likes

This is the best I could find: (source)
goldene

Scanning transmission microscopy image of the titanium gold carbide. The blue, yellow, and black balls represent titanium, gold, and carbon respectively. (Kashiwaya et al., Nat. Synth., 2024)

Doesn’t help that goldene is the German word for “golden”.

4 Likes

My only question is why they didn’t name it goldONE?

2 Likes

It’s still thicker than TFG’s skin.

6 Likes

I think the name is actually kind of annoying – it’s patterned after graphene, but that’s called -ene because it’s an arene and this is not.

To me it just sounds like its properties include the ability to take Dolly Parton’s man, although she would request not actually doing that.

19 Likes

Am i the only one who thought of this?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.