GOP set up phishing sites to trick Democrats into donating to the NRCC

The question was “[j]ust imagine the squidcloud of butthurt if someone did this to a Republican.” Turns out someone has done this to a Republican, and it has happened a few times. The squidcloud, well…

This is perhaps totally legal, but it is totally dishonourable. Yet another problem with American democracy is that parties feel they can do this with out losing too many votes (and they might be right.)

2 Likes

Please don’t pretend to be stupid. Your reply to me depends on a highly tendentious interpretation of what “this” is (i.e., that the transgression here was the creation of misleadingly addressed parody sites, rather than the fraudulent request for donations), not to mention that you’ve seized upon one poorly phrased comment just because it happened to say “someone” rather than the true parallel, “the national Democratic party”.

12 Likes

As I’ve said many times, the reason the GOP is so noisily paranoid about the threat pf voter fraud… is that they’re committing it.

15 Likes

It’s shady and unethical. I don’t think it’s fraud.

I don’t think it’s ethical. It’s obviously shady.

My point is with the screenshot that was presented accompanying this article. Why not screenshot the entire page, like the Time.com article did? It seems as if it was conveniently cut off to make it look even more shady.

Hey, don’t bag on Al Gore just because he’s a robot.

3 Likes

I think this is shady as hell and frankly indefensible. The NRCC is shameful in its attempt to subvert democracy. I think BoingBoing should include a fuller screenshot, and are shooting themselves in the foot by not doing so. If someone wants to defend this on the grounds that it states “Fed up with Ann Patrick, sign up now!” below the GIANT donation button, then you should make them argue that point directly, not give them a foothold to refute any argument (“Well if that line doesn’t matter then why did you hide it huh!?”).

2 Likes

isn’t the most interesting aspect of this story that if enough people contribute even a tiny amount to these sites and then reverse the charges with their cc companies based on fraudulence, the cc companies will stop processing NRCC donations?

6 Likes

As a Chaotic Neutral, I can at least feel a grudging sense of admiration for the chutzpah…

4 Likes

At 1024 x 768, the donate button is even partially cut off for me and everything else is below the fold. Are you saying you know with which resolutions everyone, including the person who took the screenshot, are viewing the page?

2 Likes

Just despicable. If this is the only way these people can scam funds out of the public (rather than depending on Big Business, Big Money old white dying breeds) then it’s time for the Republican party to just die off.

1 Like

Mendacity in politics?!? Wherever are we headed?

Typical shady republican tactics. They can’t win an honest election so they gerrymander districts and pull scams like this. Oh and lets not forget the debacle in Florida during the 2000 presidential election. Hanging chads, brother as governor, the fix was in. Cost us billions too with the war in Iraq for non existent WMD’s.

4 Likes

Why do Republicans feel this kind of thing is okay, regardless of the legality or the number of people who are actually fooled by it? Are their policies and ideas THAT unpopular? Or do they feel the electorate is so stupid that democracy has to be usurped?

Why not put forward good ideas and worthy candidates instead of having to rely on gerrymandering, deception, and disenfranchisement?

3 Likes

Oh all right. You’re probably right.

1 Like

Since they already trick their own constituents into thinking they represent their best interests, i guess they figure why not trick the other parties as well?

1 Like

Edit: I was wrong, made wrong assumption, quite embarassed. See response.

Responsive design is what I do for a living, and the text is clearly visible on a 1024x768 screen (if only “just”), as well as on tablets.

Besides that, the scaling of the background image (Ann Kirkpatrick), which adjusts itself to fit the height of the screen, reveals that the bottom (and top) was cropped; you cannot see her right hand in the bottom left corner, whereas on your monitor you WILL see her right hand. Regardless of the true monitor size, there was extra content that was not included in the screenshot.

Besides even that, the majority of people do have larger monitors than 1024x768 (with the exception of mobile devices). At least according to the source I trust for general stats.

I’m not arguing that the NRCC aren’t twisted corrupted dicks. I am arguing that we absolutely cannot afford to be disingenuous ourselves or else their sock puppets will seize on that and spin it around and around so nothing gets done.

So having noted that and hopefully made my point, how in the hell can we combat this (this being the rampant, bald-faced corruption of our elections)?

3 Likes

Well, maybe on some 1024x768 screens. It’s not visible, at default font sizing, on this 1366x768.

2 Likes

This is from a few days ago on Daily Kos.