Having the brakes removed from your car is a personal decision

I have an engine brake! I don’t need or want yours! It’s the same mechanism that shuts everything down when I’m being legitimately raped, that’s not just women you know, men have that exact same thing going on, as long as the rape is legitimate. I’m not sure what gets shut down, but it’s perfectly natural whatever it is.

edit - I also just called my homie and they say that as long as I’ve got some brake dust on the wheel somewhere I can safely remove my brakes!

4 Likes

Did you know 100% of car accidents involve cars with brakes? There’s some direct correlation proven because science. Because I care about the safety of my family, I’ve made that courageous decision to remove the brakes on our minivan my wife uses daily to get the kids to school.

Did I forget to mention my daily driver still has its brakes? My parents made that choice for me and I’m stuck with it, but I don’t need to repeat that mistake for my loved ones.

12 Likes

Really?

I don’t consider myself an anti-vaxxer, but this is the very worst kind of strawman argument. Anti-vaxxers are not suggesting no vaccines at all, they are questioning why the US has 3x the number of shots on the schedule while still having the worst health outcomes in the developed world for the young. That’s a pretty fair question, and one I would like to see seriously researched instead of just mocked in the media and online.

I should again preface this with the fact that I don’t consider myself an anti-vaxxer, just someone that sees a little bit of room for skepticism.

The summary of most of the anti-anti-vaxxer positions seems to be “because science.” There doesn’t seem to be much recognition that science is a human endeavor and subject to all the foibles of any other human endeavor like business or politics.

by way of example:

I’ll give you a hint - it isn’t the vaccines.

I can think of half a dozen well researched and documented explanations for the crappy health outcomes in the US, but vaccines are not one of them. Surely you don’t connect the absurd and appalling infant mortality rates to vaccines (which typically happen when the kids are at least a little older).

The two are not connected. You also have one of the highest rates of gun related deaths on the planet - is that because of vaccines?

15 Likes

In most cases I’ve read I believe they’re not mandating that kids get the vaccine, but that they can’t come to public school if they haven’t. This “belief” exception is BS.

2 Likes

It’s very true that the “brakes” don’t make you go any faster.

People who raced cars actually believed this—or didn’t realize how wrong this was—into the Sixties.

I wasn’t suggesting it was because of the vaccines. My point was that taking 36 shots vs 11 isn’t making children in the US any safer.

That’s why I suggest it’s a strawman. for the analogy to be accurate, the US would have to require cars having 3 brake rotors for each wheel. The anti-brakers would then be proposing removing the 8 additional rotors and going to the 4 rotors every other country has great success with. It’s still a very strained analogy.

The upside to all these newfangled transmissions is that no one of car stealing age even knows how to drive standard.

6 Likes

that said, I’d love for the automatic transmission to be banned, if not
outright then at least for the vehicles used to take the driving exam.
The ability to adjust speed via the drivetrain is a better option when
available, and understanding how to do it makes one a far better driver,
IMO.

Not to stay off topic too long since this is about vaccines, but maybe if we did this the American market would open up for all of those manual shift turbo wagons they sell in Europe? …Sigh… One can dream…

1 Like

I created an account just to reply to this comment. The idea that we give “too many shots” in the US compared to Europe is completely wrong and a common trope used by groups against vaccination (related to the equally dubious “too many too soon” argument).

For comparison, here are the vaccine schedules for some European countries chosen at random.
Germany: http://www.euvac.net/graphics/euvac/vaccination/germany.html
Czech Republic: see the same site, can’t post more than two links
Sweden: see the same site, can’t post more than two links

And the US schedule: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html

Europe even uses (gasp!) vaccinations that we don’t like BCG (which we don’t use in the US since it doesn’t meet the cost-benefit analysis as TB is less common.

36 shots is making us safer. It provides additional protection against additional pathogens.

Regarding your “worst health for children in the developed world” I’m going to a) need a source for that and b) ask for that source to be corrected for the abysmal maternal mortality seen in the US, which is thought to be related to disparities in pre-natal care among women of low SES. This horrible problem is entirely different than your subtle “well it surely might be the vaccines, right???” argument.

22 Likes

Really?

They are doing a terrible job of communicating that concern.

13 Likes

Hmmm. New account. First post. I don’t know what to make of this…
Doesn’t feel trollish. Could be legit.

Anagrams:
crow moods
doom crows
scow mord
crow’s doom

1 Like

Mrs. Woo Doc
Rod Moscow
So, cod worm.

2 Likes

Difficult to focus on reading these comments with all the “whooooshh…-noise”.

9 Likes

Hey, no compression brakes either.

3 Likes

No no, you’ve got it backwards! I’m an expert at this… I’m in dozens of accidents a year, and it’s always the fault of the nincompoop in front of me using their brakes. Without brakes, freeways will flow smoothly, it’s a scientific fact.

7 Likes

Immunotoxins sound scary. I’am assuming that these aren’t the same as

5 Likes

But… isn’t someone supposed to say “… false analogy…” at this point?

1 Like

Thanks bud, you saved me a bunch of time :slight_smile: