History of scary clowns

[Permalink]

Coulrophobia is the fear of clowns.

Um, so it says in my post.

2 Likes

By its pronunciation I’d have guessed it was a fear of inhaled anesthetics.
Either that or a fear of bleach.

2 Likes

Sorry. I have no excuse.

If that clown scared you and you had to close the page without reading the text you do.

5 Likes

I get that there may really be some deep psychological reason for disliking clowns… but how about the very simple reality that they most often represent pretty unlikeable personalities? They’re ‘joyful’ but their delivery is obnoxious, loud, manic and chaotic; they act stupid, clumsy and oblivious.

I personally don’t find clowns scary. I tend to dread them the same way one dreads the acquaintance who always gets boisterously and destructively drunk at their party, tells the same off-colour joke 40 times and falls over the buffet table.

That said, the more quiet, less trollish ‘sad hobo clown’, I typically like.

3 Likes

Oh I see, you’re one of them mime people.

“You know… clowns can get away with murder.”

That’s because the cops never want to go near them.

Climbs invisible ladder

2 Likes

I guess for many people that reminds them of their parents.

1 Like

Kids love “The Koko Show.”

4 Likes

How about “Frenchy” from “Evil Clown Comics?”

2 Likes

I see your Frenchy and raise you one Obnoxio!

2 Likes

The article was interesting, but I was hoping to find a confirmation of my theory. I’ve always believed that the origin of clowns was in the depiction of devils in medieval mystery plays: bizarrely and flamboyantly costumeed, and alternately buffoonish and frightening.

That’s the most I’ve ever enjoyed watching a clown.

enter link description here

Brilliant.

You need look no further than the etymology of “harlequin,” who was originally a demonic figure. I don’t have sources to hand, but I do recall that from one of my religious studies courses in grad school.

2 Likes

I see your Obnoxio and raise you Dr. Roxo

He does cocaine.

2 Likes