How police punish impoverished victims of car insurance scams

[Read the post]

They served and protected the shit out themā€¦

Seriously - how is this legal? First off - how do you get a car impounded for not having insurance? Iā€™ve been caught with out my insurance card before and got a ticket. They didnā€™t impound me.

2nd, if they are victims of a scam, that means they TRIED to follow the law - and are now victims. So you take their car? How does that make any sense? Is the department that so hard up for money that a 15 year old Honda with mismatched body panels is going to bring in enough so you can finally get the good creamer in the office again?

10 Likes

ā€œThe agencies and officers seizing your vehicle do not have any information regarding your case.ā€
I can see that those seizing the cars might not be the appropriate avenue as far as they are concerned but how can they seize a car without any information.

4 Likes

This has got to be really really rare - maybe less so thanks to the internet. Back in the day you would walk into the insurance office, and if that broker did anything funny you could find them. At a minimum they could lose their license, and who knows, you might even bring along some muscle. Today I dunno, maybe if you go to bargainzinsurance.info it might be harder to get redress.

2 Likes

According to the article, ā€œNearly 20 percent of the auto insurance certificates in Wayne County, Michigan, home to Detroit, are obtained fraudulently, prosecutors estimated.ā€ So apparently not that rare.

Cracking down hard on this kind of thing makes sense to me as auto insurance fraud affects everyone. But while I tend to give the cops the benefit of the doubt in a lot of cases, even I find it pretty hard to understand how there isnā€™t a procedure for at least stopping the car from going to auction while they sort out whether she knew about it or was truly an innocent victim.

3 Likes

Is this done as a civil forfeiture?

I think painting that motto onto the squad cars went out of style at least twenty years ago.

When you are the ā€˜auto theft task forceā€™, itā€™s your job to steal cars, right?

12 Likes

That number isnā€™t super surprising for the area. Michigan has some of the the highest insurance rates in the country, and for Detroit in particular itā€™s apparently not unusual for premiums to be as high as 3-5k a year. Itā€™s a hot potato in the legislature here but no one seems to be able to do anything about it, so the folks there just canā€™t afford it a lot of the time.

1 Like

I very much agree, but as a licensed insurance agent, I have no idea how I would get away with fraud like this. Most states have safeguards, at least I think they do. The behavior of the police is another matter entirely.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a difference between not having insurance and using a fraudulent insurance decal.

1 Like

Iā€™ve lived in enough placed to know a good thing when Iā€™ve got it. Here in British Columbia, weā€™ve got socialized health care AND car insurance. Total number of hours I spent last year worrying about either: 0. Value to me: priceless.

8 Likes

Sure; but thereā€™s also a difference between having a fraudulent insurance decal because you were defrauded and having a fraudulent insurance decal because you intend to defraud.

9 Likes

Socialized insurance? So the rateā€™s not tied to risk? I can see that as a social good for health insurance, but it seems to me that people have a lot more control over their driving habits.

No, it is based on risk, itā€™s just that the insurer is publicly owned and not doing it for profit. They actually arenā€™t even a monopoly in BC, itā€™s quite possible to get additional insurance privately.

6 Likes

That they do; but the question is whether a moral hazard is created; and, if so, whether the moral hazard can be mitigated(in the US, at present, the bulk of the punishment for a lot of vehicular infractions is the ā€˜pointsā€™ that have you paying markedly higher premiums for ages, not the immediate criminal or civil penalty; in the absence of ā€˜pointsā€™, though, you could just make the fine higher and achieve similar incentives).

My suspicion(and itā€™s purely a suspicion, subject to alteration if anyone has some studies or anything) is that other factors at least partially mitigate the moral hazard of enjoying insurance not priced according to risk:

1. Many risky behaviors are illegal to some degree, so you can still discourage them by financial or criminal sanction without bringing the insurance market into it.

2. Risky behaviors, by definition, present a hazard to the driver, passengers, bystanders, or some combination of these. Even with full medical coverage; personal injury is painful and inconvenient(and sometimes not fully fixable); and unless you operate without conscience, injuring or killing passengers and bystanders is an unpleasant experience, even if fully insured.

Among people with reasonably functional risk assessment, there just isnā€™t going to be much fondness for car accidents. Even if they cost nothing; they are scary and potentially harmful or fatal.

Among people with dangerously poor risk assessment, these factors wonā€™t have as much sway; but neither will risk-based insurance premiums(theyā€™ll act without considering the risk of increased premiums; and then either pay more if they can afford it, or drive uninsured and menace the public if they canā€™t).

Moral hazards are a problem; but in the case of stuff that sucks even when insurance covers it, not always a crippling one.

5 Likes

it depends, when my younger son was 22 he was stopped and didnā€™t have his insurance card in the car. they towed it to the impound lot and he had to present his proof of insurance to the municipal judge who voided the ticket and then still expected us to cought up the $100 towing and impound fee. two years later a white woman in her 60s hit him at an intersection where he had right of way. the police officer was writing her a ticket and the woman said she had her insurance card at her house. the oficers let her drive to her house and get it. my son and i are white too so i wanted it understood that race did not play a part in the story but iā€™m saying age did.

2 Likes

3-5k/year? How the fuck does that happen? My insurance in NY is double what it was in Oregon (because more coverage is mandated, and the agent convinced me to get more than was mandated since people are really lawsuit-happy over here) but still less than 1k/year. Sounds to me like the insurance industry there must have bought even more local politicians than they have here in NY.

4 Likes

That isnā€™t so cut and dry, though. That you were ā€œdefraudedā€ doesnā€™t mean you did not know the decal was fraudulent, nor that you should have known.

1 Like

You have control of your driving record, but you donā€™t have much, if any, control over things that the private insurance market will consider such as your age, sex, marital status and such. Thereā€™s no risk of being denied insurance because youā€™ve changed address too many times for the private marketā€™s taste, for example.

More importantly, when there is only one insurance company, it doesnā€™t matter if an uninsured driver hits you. Theyā€™re on the hook regardless.

3 Likes

Typically, when your car gets towed away legally, you owe the towing shop for the price of towing and storage, which is usually ridiculously high, because they can charge just about anything they feel like (and itā€™s usually contracted out to somebody politically connected with the local government.)

If you only had one car, and itā€™s towed away, itā€™s often difficult to get to the insurance agent, police station, courthouse, and towed-car impound lot (which is usually somewhere really inconvenient) before the charges add up to a few hundred or a thousand, and if you canā€™t pay it off (because youā€™re poor), they can sell your car to cover the storage & towing fees. And yes, thatā€™s a total scam, and itā€™s often set up in a way that it doesnā€™t legally count as a ā€œfineā€, so the Constitutional prohibition on excessive fines doesnā€™t apply.

3 Likes