How to rebuild our world from scratch [Gweek 150]

[Permalink]

So… do any maker spaces have classes in beginning flint-knapping?

Here are the guides from his web site referenced:

I’d like to see a more in depth list of critical references one can collect to actually have a library that would be of use in such circumstances… BoingBoing recently featured The Modern Blacksmith… I mean books like that. Sort of a Wirecutter for best-in-field guides, handbooks, and reference material for a few dozen critical technologies.

Edit:

Here’s where one can get a copy of the whole Wikipedia:

Another of the kind of compressed knowledge references that seems good to have is “Pocket Ref 4th Edition” by Thomas Glover. I just ordered that along with Dartnell’s book.

Along the lines of this for fun and knowledge, rather than really “prepping” is the old series “Connections” by James Burke.

Question Answered:

Manual for Civilization

Better, of course, to predict the end before it comes.

This can help…the Global Village Construction Set, “a modular, DIY, low-cost, high-performance platform that allows for the easy fabrication of the 50 different Industrial Machines that it takes to build a small, sustainable civilization with modern comforts. We’re developing open source industrial machines that can be made at a fraction of commercial costs, and sharing our designs online for free.”

http://opensourceecology.org/gvcs/

1 Like

Thanks for your comments. I also submitted a list to The Long Now Foundation of the must crucial and practical books that you would want for a doomsday library - you follow the link to see the whole collection:

http://the-knowledge.org/en-gb/the-long-now-foundation/

1 Like

It’s all here:

Based on your illustrations the end looks like Bruege’s “The Triumph of Death” and when we rebuild we’ll look like “Adam And The Ants.”

Similar to my train(wreck) of thought. At the end of “The Time Machine” they noticed that the time traveler left with 2 books, asking themselves: which 2 books? A great way to end the story, anticipating that he returned to Weena and post-apocalypse earth. I can’t recall how many times I’ve discussed this with others after reading the novella or viewing the movie. (Loved the first version, tolerated the second.)

The podcast very sensibly started with, “Organize everyone under a government”, as a necessary precursor to the rest, because so many of the critical industries require cooperation. I agree with that, but devoting 2-3 sentences to it and then moving on to the technical subjects strikes me as funny.

Of all the tasks of bootstrapping civilization, achieving and maintaining a government that leads steadily in that direction may be the hardest. It’s likely to start with strongmen and warlords, and as you might recall, Lord Humungous wasn’t too keen on anything but himself.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.