HSBC settlement approved: no criminal charges, 5 weeks' profit in fines, deferred bonuses for laundering billions for narco-terrorists

[Permalink]

Gosh, I just can’t imagine why a criminal enterprise like this is treated so gently by our governments.

The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency held numerous accounts at BCCI, according to William von Raab, former U.S. Commissioner of Customs. Oliver North also used and held multiple accounts at BCCI. These bank accounts were used for a variety of illegal covert operations, including transfers of money and weapons related to the Iran-Contra scandal, according to Time Magazine.[11] The CIA also worked with BCCI in arming and financing the Afghan mujahideen during the Afghan War against the Soviet Union, using BCCI to launder proceeds from trafficking heroin grown in the Pakistan-Afghanistan borderlands, boosting the flow of narcotics to European and U.S. markets.[12]

7 Likes

Anyone who says that crime doesn’t pay obviously isn’t taking economies of scale into account…

9 Likes

This seems somewhat appropriate:

12 Likes

I wonder how much interest the bonuses will earn in the meantime.

4 Likes

Well OK, that wins everything. LOL

1 Like

Be sure to check out the website. The whole thing has shockingly high production values.

1 Like

We should start calling the the various parts of the executive branch by what they do: E.g. The Department of War, the United States Department of Meats and Cheeses, and the Federal Interest System. The “Department of Justice” is perhaps more adequately described as “The Department of Making Sure Everyone Knows Their Place.”

9 Likes

I already signed up and will order the figures once they ship. :slight_smile:

Taibbi on this settlement when it was arrived at over a year ago. And a followup article featuring the dismaying tale of whistleblower Everett Stern.

3 Likes

I wonder who is behind this. I’m guessing the Koch brothers. Or maybe a bunch of scrappy John Galt types that never used the power of the government for their own good. The answer will surprise you!

2 Likes

The “Parts & Labor” character is a bit of a giveaway, but I think we’re dealing with Jon Stewartesque centrists. The Kochs wouldn’t dream of pretending they’re not humble entrepreneurs.

Well, we wouldn’t want to be Nazis, would we?

1 Like

It might be the Kochs, but Koch Industries would seem to be in line of fire due to both energy and agriculture.

I like the parody because it is a pitch perfect rendition of the 80’s. And if you go to the “maunfacturer’s” website http://chimeraincorporated.com, its a great parody of sites like General Atomics

I love that it’s so important to find out “who’s behind it”…apparently it’s a great fear of some to agree with an idea until they know who else might agree. A coworker of mine is “not sure” about it until he finds out whether it might be aimed more at his side of the political divide than the other. As if bald-faced influence-buying and corruption is ok if it’s done by one side, but not the other. Which of course it is, for most people.

1 Like

For me the reason to find out who is behind it has more to do with the
hypocritical bullshit factor. It’s like the people who bitch “Get
government out of my Medicare!” while they are on welfare.

I’ve actually investigated a number of front groups via
www.prwatch.orgfrom the Center for Media and Democracy. Just like the
people who fund ALEC
and the SuperPACs, lots of them don’t want you to know who they are because
once you do you aren’t fooled by the the values they say are important. You
see what they are really about.

Because when you see who gives them money and how they actually got their
money you often find out that they are full of it and it is a case of “I’ve
got mine pull up the ladder” syndrome.

On one hand I really appreciate the humor and the product values. I’m glad
that the funders are “supporting the arts” on the other hand they are
pushing a standard message “government bad” “private business good.” which
I’m pretty sick of. The Ayn Randians are bad for America.

I also will acknowledge that I have some jealousy. I hope who ever paid to
have this made got a lot of money to produce this.

3 Likes

Holder, just another eunuch.

Can Americans now stop celebrating megalomaniacs and realize these people are sociopaths?

That’d be a good start.

You make the… optimistic… assumption that their sociopathy isn’t being counted among their inspiring virtues by their admirers. If you are some randroid who celebrates the selfish, sociopaths like this are practically living saints, embodying far more virtue than most people believe possible.

1 Like

Ha, it was a rhetorical question. I’m sure there’ll alway be dopes that celebrate evil. Even serial killers have their fans.

Come to think of it, I’m sure there’s some narco-terrorists that simply love these guys.