Identify your dog's breed

More like estate agent (realtor in USish) descriptions. “Aloof” - will not come back. “Protective and loyal” - attacks everyone but owner. “Good with children” - will herd them into corner and keep them there by terrifying threat display. It’s like a house being described as “great potential”, i.e. a wreck that needs complete rebuild.

1 Like

When I got him from a shelter he was 2 years old, no idea why he was there because he is so absurdly well behaved. I could tell immediately when I saw him that I was taking him home.

4 Likes

Yup, I know just what you mean.

Ours is from the city pound. Apparently the reason given for relinquishing her was “she doesn’t bark”. In the city. Like, that’s a feature, not a bug! Everyone says she’s the best dog in the world. And she does bark, but only when it’s appropriate: a stranger at the door, for example.

Knowing the system, I grabbed the card on her kennel the instant I saw her. Without it, you can’t adopt the animal. Took over an hour for my turn to walk her around outside and verify that she was the right choice (they were severely short-staffed that day), but in the meantime, no one was able to grab her out from under me!

I haven’t even bothered to check her photo against the website referenced in the OP, because it really doesn’t matter what the computer algorithm says. She’s a mutt, and that’s just fine.

7 Likes

That’s how I got my twin sister Great Danes, Baskerville and Marmaduke. Great dogs, and highly trained, but they scared off just about everyone who looked at them at the animal shelter. (Probably justifiably; they eat more than my kids!) The shelter didn’t have any details, just that they were surrendered by the owner and couldn’t be split up. I later found out that he got rid of them because he wanted working/hunting dogs and they were gun-shy. But they’re the best guard dogs anybody could want, and so smart. (RatBoy the Younger likes to take his nap in the grass in the back yard, and they lay down on either side of him and guard him. It’s so cute. And unless you’re part of our pack, you’re not going to get near him. And if he tries to wander, they body-block him back to where he belongs.)

4 Likes

I tried this, and it identified a squirrel as an Australian terrier, it identified me as a Golden Retriever, and then it identified a couple of well-known British political figures very accurately indeed.

7 Likes

Those are perfect names!

2 Likes

My old dog, a Belgian Shepherd / (Newfoundland?) mix, got pegged as either a Flat Coated Retriever or a German Shepherd. Neither is that far off the mark; if Kira had floppy ears she could pass for a Flat Coated Retriever.

Sigh. Kira was a magnificent dog.

3 Likes

Awww.

Mine barks so rarely. I adopted her at 10 weeks old, and she so chose me, as it should be for me. I Interviewed about a dozen dogs, and she just flopped onto me and said take me home.Mutts rule.

3 Likes

Cats choose their humans, hadn’t previously heard that dogs did this as much. It’s very nice to be chosen by our furry friends.

1 Like

5 Likes

Comedy gold. Except for myself, which came up Golden Retriever, like everyone else.

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

Does it correctly identify the Old Etonian Swine Fucker?

3 Likes

I tried putting Ayn Rand in, but it persists in saying she’s a staffie, which isn’t fair to staffies, even given the ’ tend to prey on smaller creatures’ line.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.