Improved names for everyday things

[Permalink]

Finger-pants is great :smiley:

Reminds me of the literal German translation of gloves - ā€œHand-shoesā€

3 Likes

First of all, thatā€™s ā€œHorsenadoā€. If youā€™re going to inter-meme, do it right. Second:

Winter

18 Likes

This has Tom Haverford written all over it.

2 Likes

My wife coins wonderful onesā€¦ They love to tease her at work.
Unfortunately, my mind is blank right now.

Dude - I came here to post exactly that.

HAHA - hand shoes. Those zany Germans. They hate making new words if they can just get by with combining existing ones.

3 Likes

Would that be ā€œmlankā€?

7 Likes

you have embiggened by word list. thank you.

1 Like

Something like cow dog for goat or cheesy pasta for mac-n-cheese

I had a brain fart the other day trying to talk about the kitchen sink, ended up calling it the ā€œplug placeā€. Itā€™s stuck around pretty well in our house

2 Likes

Ooh yeah, Iā€™d like to dump a liter of hop soda in my tooth-hole right now, but I gotta stay in money-jail for another hour and a half or so. But then I can go to the explosives-depot, and get my people-mover filled up with valuable solvents, and a couple of cheap barley pops for me too. Then, when I get home, Iā€™ll play with my friend-beast.

2 Likes

My contractually exclusive friend-beast doesnā€™t like me to call her that.

I have a neuro thing where names, especially proper names are really difficult for me(double that for foreign languages) so my friend-beast really gets a giggle seeing others, (like this and the XKCD which is on our food-cooler) do what I do every day. The people names thing is a real pain in the ass especially at gatherings, for others I can always use a thesaurus.

1 Like

I guess friend beast was ambiguous, I meant a beast who is my friend, in this case my dog, though I suppose you can mean it any way you like. I was just copying The Oatmealā€™s coinage for his dog. But yeah, thereā€™s a beautiful simplicity in the ā€œup-goer fiveā€ type of noun substitution.

2 Likes

Just did some research, horsebeast is woman, got it.

I work in a very international group (Iā€™m one of three native English speakers, in a group of around 50), so these names are normal. Which is wonderful. I find myself struggling not to adopt them.

My (German) girlfriend recently rejected ā€˜frogletā€™ as a word Iā€™d made-up. She thought it too funny to be a real word.

Unable to find better words, I recently found myself asking, in rather broken French, if the hotel I was staying at had a bedroom for my bicycle. The nice lady on reception smiled, and showed me a room where I could store it overnight.

2 Likes

That reminds me of David Sedaris recounting his trip to the French dentist in ā€œMe Talk Pretty One Day.ā€

Describing past dental work he tells the dentist, ā€œwhen I had of myself eight, I wore a fencepost in my mouth.ā€

1 Like

There needs to be a bicycle bedrooms international guide for folks out on cycle tour similar to the one for finding alcohol stove fuel. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/trangiastovefuelnamesaroundtheworld

1 Like

Teutonic literalism is fab. Where vacuum cleaners suck dust rather than clean vacuums.

3 Likes

Friend of mine was complaining about her nominal aphasia once, but she had had a long day, and it came out as a complaint about drain bamage.

1 Like