Watch weather forecaster nail pronunciation of: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

[Read the post]

Take that, Eyjafjallajökull.

15 Likes

My mother was very impressed with him: Liam, she notes, is an Irish name. She can do it
I can’t.

1 Like

That had to be the weather guy having some fun. There was the tiniest eyebrow right at the end.

6 Likes

I read somewhere that the man is Welsh, but I can’t find it now.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much the test. You have to say the name in front of a panel, and if they approve you get a passport and a bag of cockles.

20 Likes

And even more impressive, he did it with a lithp.

1 Like

So
Mr. Weatherman, that’s very impressive. Let’s see you try some Algonquin:
Lake [Char­gogg­a­gogg­man­chaugg­a­gogg­chau­bun­a­gung­a­maugg][1]
[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Chaubunagungamaugg.

Jusr rolls off the tongue for people in Webster, Massachusetts.

7 Likes

Just FYI, your cat seems to have walked across the keyboard during that last comment.

21 Likes

All you need is a bit of practice.

Here’s a strangely catchy way to do so:

8 Likes

Reminds me of the old Onion article, Clinton Deploys Vowels to Bosnia; Cities of Sjlbvdnzv, Grzny to Be First Recipients

Except it appears a truck convoy of fresh-picked consonants overturned in Wales, and now they’re breeding out of control.

11 Likes

This is a common misconception about Welsh. In fact, in Welsh, “m”, “k”, “ll” and “ch” are all considered vowels.

4 Likes

Aw heck. It’s just not possible to have fun with Other People’s Languages any more, is it? I blame it on the French and their fourteen-letter, two-syllable town names.

2 Likes

Hell, I struggle to pronounce “Anglesey”

3 Likes

He doesn’t pronounce the voiceless lateral fricative ll, er, laterally. That is, from one side of the mouth or the other but rather down the middle. I’ve been told that you pick one side and you stick with it for the rest of your life.

My guess is, he’s not Welsh. Or at least a native welsh speaker.

1 Like

Are these Welsh names singular words, or are they like the German ‘long words’ which are effectively just a sentence with no spaces?

1 Like

It means something like “St. Mary’s Church in the hollow of white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the red cave.”

I think they made it up so they’d have the railway station with the longest name, to help tourism.

9 Likes

That’s easy. Ynys Mîn

The village with the long name is a ridiculous compound name that was made up by the railway company to get people to visit. It worked.

8 Likes

But what do the locals call the place when they’re in a hurry? Out here in El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del RĂ­o de PorciĂșncula, we tend to shorten it to just “L.A.”

'Cause ain’t nobody got time for that.

7 Likes

Llanfair PG, I think.

4 Likes