Watch weather forecaster nail pronunciation of: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Dang. I was hoping for “L.L.”

I blame it on the French and their fourteen-letter, two-syllable town names.

Y?

1 Like

All that effort, and they were beat out by some Kiwis.

1 Like

Yeah, you can tell he knows he nailed it!

Your turn, New Zealand.

1 Like

Calling a place something like that is going inconveniently far with taking the piss.

2 Likes

I don’t suppose there’s any chance his name is Dzibilchaltunchunchucmil, is it?

The Kiwis have the advantage of using the alphabet correctly instead of torturing and mangling it like some sadistic drunken psychopath.

1 Like

Yeah. I’ve had the idea to name my kid “asdf” but it’d be pronounced “Billy”. Anyone who complains that the characters have no bearing to the pronunciation can go and try to fix Wales if they want to tilt at windmills.

Somewhere in Madrid, someone is saying, “Yeah, that place. Send Gareth Bale back there.”

For a place with such a great name, it’s got a pretty ordinary train station!

I knew there was a reason I took that picture

6 Likes

They are most definitely words and not sentences. It is hardly our fault that you put spaces inside your compound nouns except when you don’t. :angry:

1 Like

Can we not piss off the Germans, please? I’m sure @FFabian has something equally (and maybe moreso) derogatory to say about (American) English.

2 Likes

Who’s being derogatory? A compound noun is several words together and not a singular word is all I’m saying.

1 Like

Watchweatherforecasternailpronunciationofwelshwordthatsmadeupoflotsofsingularwords.

How’s that then?
It’s long, but it’s not hard to pronounce.

1 Like

That’s not a word. German compounds are.

Here is a very basic presentation that gives an idea.of the distinction.

German compound nouns work pretty much the same way as English ones, except that because of the way the morphology works it is easier to tell them apart from other constructions and they are consistently spelled together. English only does that for some short ones.

If you have an argument against German compounds being words beyond the fact that their translations into English have spaces in them, then I would be interested in hearing it.

1 Like

It could well become a word, as did the Welsh train station name. such is the evolution of compound words. They start as singular words, and over time develop into compound words, this is true of the German, Welsh and English words, in fact all languages have them.
The point is; compound words have a basis in linguistic evolution of singular words.
Itsgettinglateandineedtogetmyselfofftoworksoillnotbeabletoreplyuntillaterhaveagreatday.
:grin:

Perhaps we should agree to disagree. Rather forcefully. On several points.

1 Like

While you’re correct that we have vowels (and in fact more vowels than the English language has) and that it’s a common misconception, I’m afraid that your choice of examples are, well, all wrong :smile:

Welsh vowels are A E I O U W Y

Also, there is not “K” in the Welsh language :wink:

1 Like